How much time do you spend with your kids and what do you do?

car

On average day I leave for work most days at 8ish, get home about 7ish.
Ive 2 babies at home ages circa 2.5 and 1. The younger one is in bed in at 7ish most nights and I have an hour in the evenings with the older one where we play (jenga is her curent thing) and I do the bedtime story. saturdays and sundays are mostly family days which we try to maximise.
I try to get home early at least 1 day a week and leave late 1 day a week to spend more time with them. Wife is at home with the kids full time. I enjoy my job and would rather not leave it so i dont want this thread to turn into a discussion on job/lifestyle im more worried that Im not utilising the time I do have with them to best effect.
What do other working fathers/mothers do with what time they have with their kids in the evening?
Is everyone in the same boat where you have that 1-2 hours window when you get home from a full day and try to be (interested?motivated?good parent?educator) for the kids?

My just 4 year old recently described her perfect day to me and her father, we both work full time, leave the house at 8.15 and are home at 6.00.
She said she would like us all to watch our favourite programmes on telly, then have a special lunch and a walk to the park and after that play horsey with daddy and get three stories at bed time.
Simple but perfect to her.
I think the main thing is not to try too hard to make up for the time you are not there and simply enjoy the time when you are there.
By the time we get the kids back in the evening the best is gone from them as they are tired and often just want to wind down after the day so I find taking time to listen to them and ask them little things is important.
My husband does adding competitons with my two and four year olds. I do reading with them, choose a book and then ask them questions about the pictures.
Dad does horse play on the floor, hide and seek and basic fooling around and I try to get information out of them about their day.
Saturdays and Sundays are often hectic for us but I try to spend as much time with them as I can even if their father often can't.
Just listening to them and being willing to not get absorbed in the news or your dinner or whtever else you have to attend to like housework until they are in bed is good.
Don't try to over think it or analise it just make the most of it.

I personally think that one of the most important things is that you spend even a little bit of quality personal time with your children. This involves switching off your TV and spending quality time - reading a book, doing a puzzle etc. i.e. make the most of what little time you have.

I would tend to agree with Doberden, just by being with them without the distraction of TV, reading a story, making a jig-saw, giving them a bath, just messing around really, try to have some time in the morning as well, feeding them/dressing them etc.

Christy

When I was a child my father had to work all the hours God sent just to keep the wolf from the door. When he had time to spare he spent it with us. I have the most fabulous memories of childhood, and understood from an early age that Daddy had to go to work for our benefit. Your children will understand too. As long as they know that you love them children can be remarkably resilient.