How much for 'walking around money'?

R

RIAD_BSC

I am putting together a new budget for myself, and was just wondering what people thought was a reasonable amount to allow for 'walking-around money'. I want to set myself a reasonable limit and stick to it, rather than just free spending on miscellaneous items as I used to pre-recession.

I am early 30s, engaged, no kids, own own home and car etc.... I have a reasonably active social life, but I am happy at this stage of my life to pare the costs of it back, and have been doing this steadily for 12 months.

With all other monthly fixed and variable costs (mortgage, car loan, bills) accounted for in my new budget, I must split whatever is left over between 'walking around money' for the odd night out, lunch at work etc, and savings.

What do the rest of you allow yourselves for pocket money? €100 a week? €200 a week?

thanks

Think this is a question that you will have to answer yourself.

How much can you afford to pay yourself?

How much do YOU need? As in what type of lifestyle do you have i.e if you regularly lunch in Patrick Guillbaud restaurant you will need to pay yourself handsomely for the week.

What does it matter how much everyone else gives themselves for "walking around money"

I'm roughly the same age as you and dont have any kids.

I give myself €150 per week to live off. This is a figure I had to come to out of necessity rather than choice - I have a few too many debts at the moment, that I need to repay.
For me this money covers; lunch at work, petrol, food from Aldi (I dont cook much, so it's mainly snacks, breakfasts etc.) and going out (I dont drink, so also avoid taxis etc.)

I'm not saying you should have a similiar budget - mine was more imposed on me, rather than chosen, but I am surprised how easy it has been to adjust to it... part of me wonders what I was spending my money on before???

This might be good guideline for you...

Best of luck with it

Facetious to say it but "walking around" is free

I don't currently have myself on a weekly or daily stipend because I haven't had reason to do so. Generally I pay bills first, savings second, me third. What I am saying is I decide how much I want to be saving rather than decide how much I want to spend (if that makes any sense!!) and adjust my lifestyle to suit that requirement.

Generally I pay bills first, savings second, me third. What I am saying is I decide how much I want to be saving rather than decide how much I want to spend (if that makes any sense!!) and adjust my lifestyle to suit that requirement.

Thats exactly what I do as well.

Its about priorities, my priority is to meet any financial obligations I have in terms of bills etc, my next priority is to save some money, my last priority is to enjoy whats left.