How much for a new roof?

New Home

I've found a property I'm interested in buying, but I'd like to have a rough idea of how much it would cost to re-roof it. It's a 2 bedroomed cottage with a corrugated iron roof - no asbestos, thank God. I think the structure itself is still quite solid and I obviously would get a surveyor in, but before going any further I'd like to know how much of my budget to keep aside for the roof. Any ideas, based on the different roofing materials available? Also, if the frame of roof were to be replaced too, how much would that cost approximately? Thanks.

Below is based on a roof of 150m2 (this quantity may be completely wrong)

allow 3,500E - Take down roof and dispose off site
allow 4,500E - A Trusses at 400 c/c including wall plates etc.
allow 5,250E - Felt, battens, Roof covering (concrete roof tiles)
allow 400E - Leadwork

Total 13,650E

Hope that gives you a rough Ideal of what you need to allow.

Jaid

Hi Jaid,

If I manage to buy that property (and reroof it!) I'll let you know.

New Home

Jaid,
I would add the following
ridge tiles 1000
Lead (gone very expensive, depends on if there are rasied barges, vallys etc) i would allow 2000
Facia, soffit 2000
I would add 3000 tothe price for the covering
pushing the total price up to 21k

Hey you all sound so expensive, I think 3500 to take off roof and dispose is a 1 day job .Or am I losing the plot? 400 for lead work how many chimneys and valleys are there. He said it was a 2 bed cottage with corrugated iron roof, so I gather fairly straifgtforward.

it would take a lot more than just a day, you need to put up scaffolding, a team of lads on the roof and a few on the ground and skips to dump the stuff. a lot of 'cottages' have raised barges and these are expensive and labour intensive

Jaid,
I would add the following
ridge tiles 1000
Lead (gone very expensive, depends on if there are rasied barges, vallys etc) i would allow 2000
Facia, soffit 2000
I would add 3000 tothe price for the covering
pushing the total price up to 21k

I would be very surprised if the roof cost 21k I think my figure would be more acurate. I didnt allow for the fasica and soffit because its should be do be the the rainwater goods installer.

In any case the budget was purley based on a picture in my mind not a site survey & spec.

New Home did you manage to buy the property?

Jaid