How much for a new diesel pump for '96 Audi A4

A

Arc Design

Went to get my '96 Audi 1.9 Turbo Diesel NCT'd and they would not test it because it was a bit smoky. They suggested I get a new diesel pump before they would look at it.

Just wondering how much it is to supply and fit a new diesel pump? Want to know if it worth my while as the car is getting on in years. Could this pump be bought at a scrap yard? Any suggestions would be grateful.

I wouldn't assume that the injector pump is faulty without doing other basic checks first.Is the air filter clean how long since the fuel filter/oil filter and engine oil were changed? Is it using much oil between the oil changes?What colour is the smoke? Does the amount of smoke vary under different driving conditions i.e cold engine,after prolonged idling etc.

Try to use a injector cleaner one or two times. It solved my problem in my previous car.
Cheers

That Audi has a PD (Pumpe Deuse) engine and each injector is a combined injector / high-pressure pump (there is a low-pressure lift pump in the diesel tank to move fuel to the front). They all smoke a bit but I've never heard of one being refused a test before.

Hi mathepac...
in '96 there was no pd engines yet. Its simple rotation pump. needs some regulation, or may be that some turbo hose has some small hole and an engine gets some bad air.
I had an AFN engine and cleaning sort the case. In other case a small joint-hose broke up and all turbo preasure has gone to air. Its that small jainer on the left hand side when you standind in front of the car (in AFN).

in other car the long turbo hose which connecting turbo and intercooleg gets a crack and a car leaving black cloud beching him.

I other a fuel temperature sensor broke located inside a diesel pump and needed to be replacement. that was in AHU engine.

There can be a lot of things. from simple to very serious. The good thing is its not a VP44 pump like in 2,5 TDI. That is a cosmos. And very expensive to fix or replacement.
cheers Jar

I disagree with v-max. VP44 diesel pumps are quite good thing, but VERY sensitive to bad fuel. If You are good with what You're filling in Your car it will serve You for ages... And about expensive - electric part costs 100 EUR to fix, mechanical - 200 - 270 EUR. Fitting and replacement costs additional 100 EUR. I think that is quite reasonable price, knowing how much costs new pump (over 1000 EUR). Cheers