How much for a 2nd hand piano?

RMCF

I was thinking about buying my mum an upright piano for Xmas, but have no idea how much they are likely to cost.

Can anybody give a ballpark figure?

Thanks.

It depends on the make and the condition... your best bet is to check the [broken link removed]. There are plenty of bargains to be had as people will often just want to be rid of a large piece of 'furniture' that they have no use for.

You can even pick up free pianos on occasion.

dublinwaste.ie has a free trade section that often has free pianos - here is the link for a quick search I just did on it:

Thanks for the replies folks.

Learnt a couple of new websites there. Might come in useful in the future.

You should be able to get a decent, in tune, piano for about 800. After that it's up to yourself. If your mother plays piano she may have her own views about what is suitable, also what would match her decor etc. Without getting too technical most pianos have a life of about 100 years so, after that they become very difficult to tune. Best to get one not more than about 60 years. You can often pick up free pianos but unless you know what you're doing and can get hold of a piano tuner you may end up with a landfill item. Marie's antiques in straffan sell re-conditioned pianos (not connected to them but like to go there to try them out !) and have knowledgeable staff. Worth going for a look and some info. Otherwise find someone who knows about pianos to look at anything you are considering buying.

Thanks for that.

Regarding tuning, what does it cost to do this should I get hold of one in need of tuning?

These guys are referenced on Clubman's Google address...

[broken link removed]

A member of my family bought from them and found the prices and after sales service (which is important I believe for later tuning etc) very good.