How much Duty Free Drink Can you Bring in ??

IrishGunner

ok

Off on a trip to South Africa after xmas and want to bring back a moxy load of wine for personal consumption of course.... & gifts

What is the limit i.e how many bottles can I bring back ? presuming I don't break or drink any of them on the plane

ta

I would have thought that airline restrictions on hand luggage would make it difficult for you to bring back anything more than a few bottles. Personally I have never seen any point in bringing wine back from holidays on the basis that the weight & bulk v cost savings ratio would be rather high compared to spirits, perfumes etc.

I brought about 4 bottles of spirits back in my suitcase (€3 per bottle - I'd have been mad not too!) and nothing broke. Then I picked up about 2 more bottles at the airport.

The Duty Free limits are quite small. But, duty free wine has a tendency to be as
expensive or more expensive than down town prices in a lot of places.
It is years since I was in SA but I think it was the same there.
If you buy wine and pay the duty, the limits are more than you can carry.

I aslo find that the broken back is not worth the saving.

huskerdu said:
If you buy wine and pay the duty, the limits are more than you can carry.

The customs regs seem to imply otherwise. Duty paid inside the EU ups your limit to 90L wine, but outside the EU duty paid or not are treated the same, with a 2L limit.

You are allowed to bring in to Ireland the goods shown in the table below, (subject to maximum limits) if you are travelling to Ireland from any country outside the EU (this includes the Canary Islands, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar).

The goods in question may have been bought either duty-free/tax-free or duty-paid/tax-paid outside the EU.

Back