How much does the latest windows cost?

babydays

Recently bought a Dell computer but now need to buy windows to put onto it.

The husband thinks it will cost approx E200 - can this be true? Can it really be soooooo expensive for it?

If so where can I get the best (legal!) deal for it?

The husband thinks it will cost approx E200 - can this be true? Can it really be soooooo expensive for it?

[broken link removed]

How recently? Dell were doing offers for free or cheap upgrades to Vista with many of their PCs for the last few months?

Although did I see in another thread you bought from the Outlet store in which case they maybe didn't offer it on your PC?

Yes I got it from the outlet store - tks to those to directed me there!

It has on it:
Genuine Windows&"174; XP Home SP2
Adobe Reader 8.5.8
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI 60 day trial
Tiscali Pan Euro ISP
MS LOGO lable for Win XP
Corel Snapfire Starter Edition

not that I know what any of that is!!!!

The computer is for my mother (aged 74) who is used to using the regular word windows deal so I don't want to confuse her by changing things.

Before you Vista you should at least run the to ensure that your PC is capable of running it. I read on in the Irish Times last week that Gartner estimate that only c. 15% of existing PCs will be able to run it!

It has on it:
Genuine Windows&"174; XP Home SP2

The computer is for my mother (aged 74) who is used to using the regular word windows deal so I don't want to confuse her by changing things.
If it already has XP Home SP2 then why upgrade?

Clubman - perhaps it's now patently clear I know nothing about this stuff!!!

Is XP Home SP2 the usual software that most of us use?

ps. she does a lot of word processing, uses e-mail a lot and wants to be able to video Skype.

Windows XP Home SP2 is just the operating system. It doesn't really give you much in the way of applications other than Internet Explorer and some other stuff. What do you mean by "software that most of us use"? If you mean for "office" stuff like word processing, spreadsheets etc. then unless you already have it you probably want Microsoft Office but I would recommend that you at least try out OpenOffice first since it's free, largely compatible with Office file formats and more than sufficient for most people's needs. Other than that it really depends on what the PC will be used for.

Be aware that you need an awful lot of hard drive space to run Vista (c. 20 gb I think) and at least 512mb of RAM. Unless you have what I would consider to be a fairly 'high end' machine, I don't think you should upgrade.

As per CCOVICH's post above - many PC manufacturers and retailers have been giving away vouchers for Vista with PCs that are not of a high enough spec to run the new operating system (possibly other than in basic mode). Run the upgrade advisor and unless you really need to upgrade stick with XP for now would be my advice.

Petermack

Do you have a link for the Vista upgrade offer from Dell, have had a look on their website and can only find links regarding checking if your pc is capable of running vista, not one offering a free upgrade. (Bought my pc in November so would be very interested in getting free Vista!)

Thanks

I'd second CCOVICH & ClubMan's caveat. Remember ME?
If Windows won't start following your installation of Windows Me, you may need to uninstall Windows Me to deal with the problem.

When I received the Vista upgrade it contained a printout of my P.C spec and P.C serial number. When you load Vista it asks you for your P.C's serial number and wont load if the serial number differs.

Thats the thing about an OEM licence, the licence can't be transfered from one machine to another even if the original machine is not in use anymore. They are quite restrictive.

Speaking from a professional point of view I wouldn't touch Vista for home use for another 12 to 18 months, workwise I wouldn't touch it at all.

Speaking from a professional point of view I wouldn't touch Vista for home use for another 12 to 18 months, workwise I wouldn't touch it at all.
Same here. In fact I reckon that most of the machines that I use on a regular basis would stuggle to run Vista even though they are perfectly fine running XP or GNU/Linux for everything that I need to do. One the other hand I might buy shares in CPU, hard disk, memory and video card manufacturing companies in the hope that Vista is a success.

BTW: If you are talking about MS Office. The menus in the latest version (Office 2007) are totally different to the older versions and will confuse experanced users. However for new users they are much more simple!

The OEM trade prices are :
Vista Home Basic €79.00
Vista Home Premium €125.00
Microsoft Office Basic 2003 €159.00
Microsoft Office Professional 2003 €239.00

+ VAT
Towger

That link doesnt include Dell systems...this is the Vista Upgrade link for dell systems

[broken link removed]