How much does it cost to administer a loan book?

Andy836

Hi Sarenco,
Typically servicer fees for loan books are higher than that c. 35 to 50bps for an rmbs. Last deal I looked at it was 100bps but that was for a clo.

Add on the increased costs of managing the defaulted borrowers and I'd say we're still a small distance from breaking even on an op margin basis. Maybe another 25-35bps but even at that they're still not providing a meaningful return on capital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy

The fees charged by a loan servicing agent on a securitised loan transaction is not a good proxy for what it costs an originating lender to service a performing loan book (I'm only referring to performing loans). The cost of servicing a performing book of mortgages would be materially less than 20bps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks

I have copied these posts to here as it's an issue which has been raised and I have not seen any hard data on it.

Typically servicer fees for loan books are higher than that c. 35 to 50bps for an rmbs.

So AIB securitises its loans and charges a fee of 0.5% for managing it on behalf of the new owners?

Last deal I looked at it was 100bps but that was for a clo.

Is a clo a Collateralised Loan Obligation? Would that include ordinary mortgages? 1% seems very high for servicing mortgages.

The cost of servicing a performing book of mortgages would be materially less than 20bps.

Have you any basis for this estimate? It seems very low to me.

I understand that the likes of Pepper and Capita charge around 0.5% for managing mortgages on behalf of their former owners. Most of these would have fairly heavy arrears. So maybe Sarenco's 20 bps for a performing loan book is correct.

The Danish banks operate as mortgage intermediaries. They issue mortgages to borrowers and then issue bonds to match them. So the rate of interest on the mortgage is paid directly to the bond holder. The Danish model includes servicing, origination, default management, securitisation & risk return for the capital allocation by the Mortgage Credit Institution… all for 80bps

Brendan

Last edited:
https://www.accenture.com/il-en/insight-rising-cost-mortgage-loan-servicing-banking-summary.aspx

The survey referenced in the linked report estimated the servicing cost @ $208 per loan in 2014. Servicing a performing loan book is an almost entirely automated process so scale matters.

Obviously servicing an impaired loan book is a much more involved and costly process.

I suspect the bulk of the cost in your Danish example actually relates to the origination process (carrying out due diligence on the proposed borrower, etc).

No problem. The report relates to loan servicing costs in the US but it should be a useful guide.

Hi Brendan,
1. A CLO is typically comprised of leveraged corporate debt (the majority of which will be sub-IG rated). These are more active loans with higher per loan administration levels (covenant & information compliance, collateral management & facility amendments) so require more work than your typical mortgage however this is partly offset by the larger transaction loan balances (can range from $5mm to $50mm participations depending on the rules underlying the CLO). It's not a great proxy for a residential mortgage book but it's worth noting.

2. Re your comment on AIB. There really isn't any new owners. The mortgages are pooled and transferred into a bankruptcy remote SPV which issues a number of senior notes each with a slightly lower lower rating & payment priority ranking to the one above it (as the payment priority gets more subordinated the interest payable on the senior notes increase). The lowest (worst rated tranche) is the equity tranche which is typically retained by the originator (AIB in your example but mainly because no one else buys these tranches although you do every now and again hear of hedge funds buying pools of these at a discount but I'm not sure if it happens).
So by holding the equity tranche AIB essentially retains the residual risk on the mortgage pool. Once a certain amount is paid off the Bank may redeem the remaining balances on the remaining senior notes just to wind things up and the mortgages can be moved back to their own book or be packaged up again. But the main point is it doesn't really change the ownership, it simply allows the originating Bank generate new money to generate new loans.

3. I don't really disagree with Sarenco, for a performing pool of mortgages the costs would be lower than 35 to 50 bps (it's largely automated and reasonable corporate services costs can be added on top of the stated servicer fee).
However, aren't 12% of all mortgages now in default so it's not really comparing apples with apples in an Irish context.
Also, your reference to 3rd party servicer fees of 50bps would in my opinion, be a closer reflection of the actual costs (however I can't find any of these contracts).

With respect to the 50bps fee referenced above and the fees I link to below, note that those below are all being serviced in house & were, when the the notes were structured, performing loan books so (i) don't include any 3rd party servicer premium, (ii) don't include costs for managing out defaulted borrowers.
Think about it, there is no real necessity for the originator (AIB in your example above) to accurately reflect the cost of managing defaulted borrowers as they hold the equity tranche so any increase in actual servicing costs would only reduce their residual on the equity tranche. They can either get paid up front or they can get paid when the transaction winds up and the residual is paid out to the equity tranche. Perhaps on an NPV basis it might be an issue but it's less than 15 to 20 bps in most cases.

Some links and costs below to Irish securitizations with summary of the loan pools:

Kildare Securities Ltd (2007 BOI/ICS- Fee 12bps)
2.1% in arrears, 0.20% > 3mths arrears, avg LTV 63%, Avg balance 171k

Celtic Residential Irish Mortgages #9 (2005 1st Active/Ulster - Fee 15 bps)
2.5% in arrears (0.04% in arrears over 2 months), avg LTV 60%, avg balance 137k

Celtic Residential Irish Mortgages #11 (2006 1st Active/Ulster - Fee 15 bps)
2% in arrears (0.3% in arrears over 2 months), avg LTV 69%, avg balance 180k

Fastnet Securities 9 Ltd (2013 PTSB - Fee 15 bps)
5.6% arrears (0.16% >1mth), avg LTV 50% (indexed avg ltv 80%, avg, balance 118k
http://www.ise.ie/debt_documents/Pr...959-515c-4ae3-b188-94aa19bf39bb.PDF?v=2172015

Phoenix Funding 3 LTD (2008 KBC - Fee 15 bps)
avg LTV 66%, avg, balance 172k

Sadly it doesn't get us any closer to publicly available Special Servicer fees!

Note 20 of Nationstar's 2014 10K references a 50bps servicer fee with Newcastle Investments. Nationstar is largely a servicer of sub-prime mortgages in the US. While this kind of supports my 50pbs thesis, these are connected companies (both Nationstar & Newcastle are affiliates of Fortress).

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com...id=855544&ppu=%2fdefault.aspx%3fcik%3d1520566

If I come across something publicly available which one can stand over I'll post it up.

Last edited:
Back