How much did your insurance go up after a claim

torbie

Hi all,
I have just experienced why Insurance costs are so high.
My husband unfortunately drove into the back of someone 2 years ago. There was no damage done to the cars (he still drives the same car). No paint scratches, no lights broken, the reg not even bent. The 2 cars were stopped to ease into traffic. My hubby was the 2nd car and looking up the road and saw a big gap. He thought the car in front of him was going but he hadn't moved and my hubby went into him at about 20MPH.
The man got out and said he was ok. He had to 2 small kids who got an awful fright and were crying. It was very civil and they exchange details. They had a phone call a few days later and again it was civil and the man said he was fine but the kids were scared to get in the car seats.
Then we got notice through the insurance for claims (no damage to cars just personal injury)
It was sorted out of court and the kids got €6k & €10k and the man got €32,000!!!!
Im really shocked. My hubby has 25 years of driving and never was in an accident. The cars were not damaged and it was not a high speed impact.
No wonder people claim when money is handed out like that.
The really annoying thing is that he had a day off work that day and was asked by a colleague to go in for a hour to do a favor for him... so he went in on his day off.
Anyway - we are wondering how much the car insurance will go up after this. The insurance company said it wont effect his no claims bonus but his insurance will be 'loaded' for 5 years. we cant get a figure out of them.
Does anyone have experience of this ? Im really shocked that he was awarded €32k.

Im really shocked that he was awarded €32k.

With all due respect, you don't know what injuries etc. the people your husband hit had. I was in a similar situation a number of years ago and I was the one who was hit from behind. At the time of the incident I had no issues. It was only after a few days that I developed an awful pain in my neck.

I could have chased the other driver for pain and suffering but I didn't... I took pain killers etc, and eventually it eased. I only claimed for repair to my car, depreciation of my car as a result of the incident (as certified by a garage and not exaggerated), the hire of a car and the cost of the doctor/pain killers.

If the court awarded him and his children compensation, blame the court not him for the award.

Unfortunately, your husband will pay the cost for the next 5 years and he will probably be stuck with the same insurance company for that period.

Saying it won't affect his NCB is a joke as it clearly will... he'll be paying more.

Best way to get a figure... use the information you have and do some online quotes with other companies or ring them direct.

Whilst the premium may rise , its generally not as bad as most expect. The Insurance Co. want to retain you business for the foreseeable future, as in, most will have an some type of vehicle accident at some stage of their driving career, and then be accident free for many years again. So why would they want to loose those years of premium to another Insurance company.

If there are such injuries that would require thousands in payouts to ease the pains suffered at low impact collisions, is it the Car Manufactures fault for not having the safety elements to protect its occupants, or, have we as a race just become more delicate?

Vehicles have adapted in safety measures to such an extent the impact is absorbed within the safety features of the car so much that the occupant is shocked at the damage done while feeling little of the impact.

The exorbitant payouts though would be the incentive make you really wonder if you can feel any discomfort as hard as you may try.

Insurance costs are high because the yields on bonds (where they keep the premiums) has been low to non existent for decades. They are struggling to get any return from this money and have to increase the premium.

An underwriter once told me it wasn't the writing off a car they were worried about, it was the case of someone getting brain damaged and needing 24 hour car for the rest of their life. The €32k claim is insignificant in comparison.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

They are obliged to tell you.

If he had a 50% NCB, full bonus, then his premium will double in year 1, with 10% reduction in year 2, 20% year 3, 30% year 4, 40% year 5 and 50% year 6.

If he had a protected bonus, it depends on the degree of penalty, reduce from 50% to 20% or to 30% depending on insurer. Some insurers have fully protected ncb which means that there should be no affect on ncb.

The statement that 'it wont affect ncb, but he will be loaded' does not make sense.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im not sure of the ins and out of the insurance we have - He usually takes care of that & I cant understand Insurance speak ! I agree, not affecting the NCB but he will be loaded doesnt make sense to us either. Its for renewal in Oct/Nov. I like to find out NOW - he is a wait and see type of guy !

Back