How many TV points?

onekeano

Just completing a major refurb on my house and called NTL because I wanted to get everything checked and install a few new points. A friend had told me they were charged a once off €12.50 per point for this recently.

I was told by NTL that I could only have a total of 4 points so in effect they would allow me 3 extra points and the cost would be €150 (3 x €0) and then €22.50 per month extra (€7.50 x 3). When I asked why it was so dear they said "you're a digital customer".

While I have Sky Sports in 1 room I don't want to have that available anywhere else and I just want regular channels (RTE / BBC / Channel 4 etc). Is there an alternative solution to this where you don't have to pay extra recurring charges to these guys?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Roy

Do you plan on using these points to watch different channels in each room at the same time ? Will there be occassions where you will be watchin 4 different channels on your 4 tv points at the same time ?

if all you want is to distribute the main channel from NTL to the 4 points, then it should be easy enough, and no additional rental afaik, just using a plain old splitter box on the coax out of your NTL box, or better still, one that will allow you control the box also from the other rooms.

Wexfordman

Thanks WM, yes I plan to be able to watch different stations in different rooms. I was able to do this before I had the house gutted with my basic NTL but can't understand how it's getting so complicated now (and expensive!)

Roy

May be of interest that Argos and other electrical retailers sell units that can transmit cable/scart etc around a house without wires.

In the argos cat, they are called tv and video senders.

if you decide to buy one, ensure that it is suitable for what you want.

Some do not transmit cable signal.

The argos video senders will give you the same result as far as I know, in that you will only be able to watch 1 channel at a time.
Wexfordman

Unless they have switched off the analogue signal in your area which I don't think they have done anywhere yet unless you are on MMDS and not physical cable you don't strictly need a digital box for every point.
(Can you tune in channels on your TV if you bypass the digital box with the cable (or pass it through)?)

NTL may not install analogue any more though as they apparently intend to switch it off eventually but an independent electrician might be able to help.

If its set up right when they do switch off analogue you should still be able to connect a box on the points and get digital.