How many spotlights will I need?

TillyD

... for a 25ft x 12ft Kitchen. The electrician is saying 10, 5 and 5 in the shape of an X is this enough?

Tilly.

We used 16 in a 280 sq ft area and its just about fine, 20 for your 300 sq ft area should be adequate.

Secman

Just keep in mind that (10 + 5 + 5) * 50 is 1kw of electricity. which will cost you 16.29c per hour to run.

I have 10 spots in our living room but have split them 5 & 5 over two dimmer switches...

Sorry I should have said 10 in total (5&5) It's not 20 spots. It will be like Penang described and it will be 5 & 5 over two dimmer switched.

So will 10 be enough for a 25ft x 12??

We have 6 and 2 in our 8X12 kitchen, but I guess that's because it is a working room.

our living room is almost exactly the same size as you are trying to light. 10 spots is plenty - we never turn them all on. With undercounter lighting in the kitchen i'd say you'll be fine.....

Just looking at the same thing yesterday and all the old posts here on AMM about spots. Think about getting LED ones and not halogen as they are not as energy efficient at all. HAlogens are a bit like having an F rated fridge and LEDs are more like an A rated one!! Slightly dearer in the beginning but pay for themselves over time, also LEDs last 50,000 hours and the others are rated for 2000 hours.

Worth looking into to I reckon, we are doing a 25ft x 14ft kitchen dining room extension so not too disimiliar to yours.MAybe ask your electrician what he thinks about it.

Muffin

Thanks very much all,

Muffin, that's great advice about the LED spots, thanks, I will say it to the electrician today.