How many speeches is the norm for an irish catholic wedding?

NOAH

I am going to an Irish wedding in a few weeks and will be the camcorder operator, how many speeches should I expect, father of bride, best man, used to be the usual but have times changed. I dont want to miss a good one either!!

noah

Re: How many sppeches is the norm for an irish catholic wedding?

The usual speeches are made by the bestman, the father of the bride, father of groom and the groom. The bride sometimes makes a speech and sometimes also the Priest speaks.

thank you very much. I am forwarned now.

noah

The last wedding I was at the bridesmaid made a speech but the bride didn't. If you are going to be at the whole wedding how can you miss the speeches.

Depends on the family, in my own case it was myself, my sister(as my Dad is a quiet man), my father in law(15 words, no messing) and the best man. Priest only said grace. Problem is that some people can whitter on for ages

Be aware also that some weddings like to do the speeches before the meal, when everyone is awake and reasonably sober

The last wedding I was at the bridesmaid made a speech but the bride didn't. If you are going to be at the whole wedding how can you miss the speeches.

I think he meant that he didnt want to miss recording a speech due to timing on the camera restraints

Last one I attended was 38 mins 44 secs - I only remember the time as I won the money!

Mpsox;887479 Be aware also that some weddings like to do the speeches before the meal said:
Also gets them out of the way so that the Groom, bestman etc can relax and enjoy the meal and a few glasses of wine. I think it's a great idea. I would be a nervous wreck if I had to make a speech and wouldn't be able to eat a thing.

... If you are going to be at the whole wedding how can you miss the speeches.
Normally I can't here them rabbiting on from the bar... :D

@JJ1982 spot on, its a new type digital camcorder, takes dvd's 30 mins or 60 mins.

thanks for replies

noah

2nd last one I was at had the speeches clocked at just over 11mins, if only they were all like that, the last one was over an hour.

Make sure you have a spare battery pack or an extra large battery (or maybe it would be possible to hook up to mains). Whenever I am taping stuff I find the battery tends to run out far faster than the mini DVD.

Another favourite with me is to faff around waiting to tape stuff and to realise afterwards that I turned the darn thing off instead of on (red dot on, green pause and my brain can't get past traffice light and thinks green for go and red for stop!!). Steven Spielberg can rest easy with me about!!!

Back