How many cars can a person own?

SkippyOD

This may be obvious to many but how many cars can a person own i.e. tax and insure in their name?

Am I correct in thinking only 1?

I have an old car that use for going to work along some back roads where I'd hate to bring a new one, esp with the "school-run brigade" in their 4x4's who believe the road is one way only and take all precautions not to to scratch their off-roader!! Planning on driving it into the ground and would love a new (2nd hand) one for weekends or days when I can travel another route, which would be a bit more fun.

Am I correct in thinking only 1?
You can own as many cars as you like (or can afford).

The only 'restriction' is that you can only use your no claims bonus (NCB) once, so you'll be paying relatively high insurance on any more than one car.

Could I transfer the NCB onto the newer car and take out full insurance, leaving the older car, not worth much now (<1k), with 3rd party only?

Thanks

Could I transfer the NCB onto the newer car and take out full insurance, leaving the older car, not worth much now (<1k), with 3rd party only?
I assume so, but can't say I've any experience of it. I've never heard/saw anything to suggest this wouldn't be possible, but best to check with your insurer to be certain.

Would love a Mazda MX5 (99-01) for a run around so it doesn't fall into the classic car bracket. Might have to plow on with the laguna for a few more years.

Back