How many arfs in Ireland.

dubwx

Are there any official figures for the number of people with arfs/amrfs in Ireland and the average amount at set up point.
Also any breakdown for arf holders. eg 10% of arf holders have pots in the range <€50k; 40% 50k to100k; 20% 100to 150k;etc. or whatever such figures may be. And what then is the median among arf holders.

My partner will shortly set up an arf and I would like an overview of the situation before submitting any queries. It would also bring some realism as much discussion in the media and elsewhere seems to focus on those with very large arfs.

dubwx

With Annuity rates so low (apparently), the vast majority of DC invest in ARFs. Very few buy Annuities.
As for the amounts invested, well how long is a piece of string. They vary from €50k up to €2m (and occasionally more).

I can't see how knowing that info would assist in setting up your wife's ARF? Knowing that info has no bearing on your wife's personal financial goals and income needs. These figures would also make no sense as they would be heavily skewed. People generally have big pensions or none.

I know for pre retirement vehicles this info is recorded for eurostat but don't know if it is readily available. The pension authority collect this so maybe they report on it. Revenue would have an idea of the ARF values for the ones that they collect tax on. Don't think they provide a breakdown of this.

The queries you should be trying to get a handle on are something along the lines of:

ARF vs Pension - which is more suitable and achieves your financial goals
Say you pick ARF - decide on a risk profile and investment strategy
Find the product/company that can do the first two points and provide the required service level

I haven't come across that level of information. It can also be skewed by one individual have 3/4 different ARF policies of different values.

But I agree with what Fergal says, other peoples situation has no relevance to your partner's ARF or retirement income. You will be spending a lot of time researching irrelevant information.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back