How long will an indemnity last? (house sale)

misterbarlow

We have sold our house and just had the survey done.

Approx 23yrs ago my father converted the attic to a bedroom for me as it was a 2bedroom house and they couldnt afford to move when they had a girl after me.

He removed the long sections of the 2 A-beams that were at each end to make it open plan and replaced them with shorter vertical beams mounted under every beam right along the length of the roof.
So 2 Abeams were replaced by approx 28 vertical beams, and he also mounted a beam at the top running from end to end and mounted into the walls, plus of course the chimney is centrally located which must take some load also??

Sort of like this..
roof.jpg

Our solicitors have now said that the buyers mortgage provider want us to sign an indemnity for the roof against it collapsing as we have removed supports, and are sending me the paperwork but I havnt seen it yet..

Bearing in mind it was done over 20ys ago and we have had several heavy snowfalls and bad storms in that time I am 100% happy that its stable, but will this indemnity last a set period of time or will be it ongoing forever??

I dont want them coming to me in ten or fifteen years time asking me for a new roof.

I dont know anything about roofs but I would be wary signing your life away? Maybe a better way to approach this is to get a surveyor in and let him give a written report as to the condition of the roof and give this to the buyer. Then let him decide whether to purchase or not.

Seeing as what was done to the roof was nothing to do with me, it was done by my father and uncle (who was a roofer) in about 1984, and I then bought the house from my parents in 1992, I am not prepared to sign anything taking responsibility for it.
If they gonna kick up a fuss i'll just get someone in to smash down the plasterboard up there and re-insert beams from where they removed them so its back as it was and they can take them out if they want when they move in.
They cant moan then if its back to original spec!!!

There is no point in getting narky with the other side yourself. Let your solicitor write back to simply state that (s)he has advised against signing an indemnity and that they buy it as is, if they buy. They can then take advice from their own engineer, and make their own informed decision.

i agree with mob, do not sign any indemnity in relation to the roof, if they dont buy ull find sum1 else

Back