How long to get from Central Rome to Fiumcino airport

girasole

Off to Rome for a weekend in the near future. We are flying in to Ciampino and back from Fiumcino/Leonardo daVinci airport. I want to pre-arrange a taxi or limousine pick-up from our hotel, which is near the Pantheon, to Fiumcino airport, but I am wondering how much time I should allow for this trip. We would need to be at the airport for 6pm on Sunday evening.

Anyone done this? We don't want to take the train as I reckon a taxi to the train station and then waiting for the train etc. will take longer overall, and we have precious little time there as it is.

Thanks.

The train station is at the airport, so you wouldn't need a taxi to it. It's about 45 mins by car and the train is quicker but factoring in changing from the metro to the train at Termini, you may well be better off in a taxi but it will cost at least €40.

[broken link removed] - airport website on getting there.

Last edited:
Thanks purpeller,

The trip in question is the return leg, from the hotel TO the airport, so I would need to take a taxi to the train station if I was using the train and I don't really want the hassle. 45 minutes in a taxi doesn't sound too bad. I was allowing about an hour for the trip in our "itinerary". Hopefully traffic in Rome on a Sunday evening won't be too bad.

I made the journey from central Rome to the airport on a Sunday in July by taxi in about 45 minutes. It was a busy day though as alot of Italians were heading for the coast (or so the taxi driver said). It cost about E50 because I think the rates are higher on a Sunday.

Thanks ophelia. Going in February so don't suppose I'll have to worry about hoards of beach-bound Romans clogging up the roads :)

all going well it should take 45 minutes or so - we did it last time in Rome and for some reason the motorways near the airport were gridlocked and with much swearing and hand waving the taxi driver started driving down back roads and swinging in round places that you wouldnt imagine a car could go. it ended up taking nearly 1.5 hours. its like anything else, if traffic is bad itll take longer. sunday evenings can be busy in airports. i would say allow an hour at least - if you are bang on time thats only 15 minutes extra to waste in the airport.

Yes, I think I will allow an hour for the trip just to be on the safe side. Pc7, I was actually thinking of booking with that company. I have seen them mentioned quite a few times on the web and they appear to be fairly reliable. Their rates are very good too. I haven't priced a transfer through the hotel but I very much doubt they will be any cheaper.

Back