How long to drive to Galway?

gearoidmm

Living in Dublin and have a meeting at 8.30am in the Radisson in Galway on Friday - any idea what time I'd have to leave on Friday morining to get there on time?

Thanks

It's about 135 miles from Dublin to Galway - the road isn't the best in the world, as far as I can remember a lot of it is single lane road.

Traffic should be light enough until you hit Glaway - I reckon 3 hours minimum: if it were me I'd aim to go at 05:00, eventually leave at 05:15 / 20 and just make it to the Radisson at 08:23 :D

Gearoid woul you not stay overnight in Galway good pubs there and a nice town

I left Galway last Wednesday at 06.00(yes 6.00am) and got to the RDS at 10.35am stopping for 20 mins on the way.

Traffic once we hit Enfield at 09.00am was a disaster. You won't have this problem going the opposite direction.

Allow 1.5 hours from Athlone to Galway at that hour of morning.
Traffic going into Galway from Craughwell can be very very slow.

Leaving time will really depend on what part of Dubin you're leaving from.

I would aim to hit the Radisson for 08.00am and that way you miss the heavy traffic going into Galway.

But 3 hours from Lucan and you should be fine.

Enfied is bypassed (not great). Loughrea, Ballinasloe are trouble spots. Traffic from Oranmore to the city centre will be a mare. If I was you, I'd see if you can get a room in the Forster Court hotel on Thursday night (2 mins from Radisson at a fraction of the price). Go to the Malt House for dinner. Then take in a band in the Kingshead, or have a pint in Freeneys. I'm heading for Galway myself this weekend.

Driving at that hour of the morning (4am or so) is dangerous, as you will be tired. I've done it myself before, it's not pleasant.

I live in Galway, once you reach Galway (say Oranmore roundabout) you want to give yourself a minimum of 30 mins to get to the Radisson, traffic should be light but Galway traffic is so unpredictable, one accident or a heavy shower and its all over the shop for ages.

The Radisson is a very short walk from the train station - maybe 100 yards. I seem to recall that there is an early train comes in to Galway; Worth checking anyway.

How times have changed.

About 12 years ago, on a summer morning, I did Galway in 2 hrs. We left at 6.00 am. Driving on the limit all the way. We hit the road in spots. Most enjoyable at the time.

Wouldn't do it now. Penalty points and a lot older. Plus the totestrone(sp) must have run out. No wonder the insurance premiums are falling

Murt

Back