how long should an insurance company keep your details

LBT

have a bit of an issue at the moment...

Have been a named driver under my mom since about 1999 until last month with a break of about 15 months for when I was travelling.

My mom got her insurance through a broker, I have since got insurance this month and have got a discount for no claims bonus as long as I could prove I had 5 years or more experience. So rang the broker and then sent out a letter stating that I was a name driver since Dec 2003 (this is when I came back form travelling) I rang them again today and they said they don’t have a record of me from Jul 2000 to Sep 2002 but they do have a record of me with a difference insurance company for Jul 99 to Jun 2000!
There is 2 years missing, I rang the insurance company direct and they first told me that they can’t deal with me that I have to do this through my broker and explained that they can’t find any record of me. They took my details but from the disinterest in his voice I have a feeling I will be waiting for that call back. So either I was driving for 2 years with no insurance (my mom apparently was ok) or they have messed up their records.

Just wondering has anyone else been in this situation

Never been in this situation but I believe they should keep a record for 7 years after policy ending...

You could submit a formal inquiry under the Data Protection Acts asking for a copy of all data which they hold about you, including data in backups which may be held offline or offsite. This will probably be dealt with by a data administrator, and might give a more complete result that your initial query. They can charge a nominal fee of about €6 for this.

Could be the old Allianz who threw out all their old paper records around that time.