How long is the builder still obligated to fix up problems with a house?

CN624

There are some cracks appearing in the plaster on the walls of my sisters house (only 'settling' cracks, we hope!) and the plaster from the ceiling in one room is beginning to come away.
The house is 2 years old and is covered by Home Bond, is she within her
right to go back to the builder and get it fixed?

She can ask :D Settling type cracks can appear for up to about 3 years .

Homebond is a con job anyway and will not aply to plaster .

Have to agree. Homebond theoretically cover major structural flaws in the first 10 years that the builder won't fix. In practice you'd be lucky to get them to do anything. Surface/settling cracks in plasterwork are not unusual in new houses and not necessarily the sign of any (major) problem. Plaster falling from the ceiling may be another matter. Obviously the first port of call is the builder but again I suspect that you would be doing well to get them to come back. Might be worth gettting a surveyor to look at things to see if there are any serious problems.

Hairline cracks to plaster work are normally specifically excluded as an item that a builder will re do in building contracts. In relation to major structural flaws, the period is 6 years.

I have horizontal hairline cracks upstairs in a bedroom. The builder repaired the cracks a number of years ago. The cracks returned and while I kept an eye on them, I wasn't unduly worried because the builder had said they were normal settlement cracks. (...I know!)

It transpires that these hairline cracks are due to stress caused by incorrect trussing in the roof. Homebond agreed to remedy the fault if my builder failed to do so. They contacted my original builder and he has agreed to remedy the fault. I have found Hombond to be very efficient and very helpful (so far). We are in the final stages of sorting it out. Homebond is acting as mediator. I had 6 months left on my Homebond guarantee when I registered my complaint.

Marion

CN624:

Follow up on the advice given above. Tell your sister to contact the builder. If he fails to return then get a good structural engineer to check out her home.

If it is necessary to contact Homebond, make sure to have the engineer present for the initial meeting at her home. The engineer should set the tone for the meeting. It would not be advisable to meet them without an expert being present. Homebond gives short notice of meetings but they are flexible.

They take a defensive stance, but it's business!

Marion

Back