Motor How long does your claims history last?

D

Dan79

Folks

I would appreciate some advice. I was involved in a car accident about 2 years ago in which I admitted liability but presently the claim is still pending as my insurance company is awaiting further medical evidence from the third party. There seems to be some medical complications for the third party and the settlement amount is likely to be quite high.

My car was a financial write off and I haven't had a car since. I am thinking of getting a new car and obviously new insurance. I have been advised that no other insurer will quote me while the claim is still pending. Is this true?

Also, I notice that most quotation sites assume no accidents made within the last 3 years. Is this period an industry standard? Therefore, is it fair to assume that after 3 years you don't have to disclose any previous claims.

D

You should be able to get a quote from your original company. You will be able to get cover from somewhere, as it's a requirement. If you get two refusals in writing then you can apply to the Insurance Federation who will force the first person you contacted to provide insurance. I probably have some of these details wrong, but I'm confident you cannot be refused by everybody.

I'd say you would have to notify claims for up to five or six years, but only provide the information asked for... don't volunteer any information.

Hi Dan, I work in the insurance business an generally companies will ask for claims history within the last five years, even if they don't as a rule I'd advise letting them know about it as the agent may be having an off day and this could come back and haunt you at a later stage ie. making a claim with your new company.

As for taking out cover again, there is nothing stopping you from getting quotes from companies although some may insist on at least one or two years no claims bonus.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

MrEBear

Thanks JoeBallantin and MrEBear, useful information particularly the option of referring to the Insurance Federation. The original company did provide a quote some time ago which was expensive, I imagine it is likely to have increased as they incur costs in settling the claim. I was hoping to shop around but one or two companies stated they would not quote while the claim was pending and as you point out most companies online systems don't allow quotes for anyone with claims within the last 3 years.

I will contact my original insurer and brace myself for the bad news!

Back