How long does it take to build a house?

jesster

Hi all

I bought a house last year off plan. they said it would be ready in may/june 2007. I went up to site on monday may 7 and the house has the breeze/concrete blocks just up to the first floor.

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to build a house from this point to completion (snag) point. its a large development and have a big team on site. I rang the agents but they are saying there is no definite date to completion.

Im thinking it might take a month to build a house to finish point. Its just a guess though. Anybody have any ideas?

Our apt took 8 months from the initial date so I wouldn't be leaving my present accom anytime soon.

I would think its going to take a lot longer than another month, esp if they are not willing to give you a completion date.
Sorry its a slow process

a builder on a stand alone build would normally allow minimum 16 weeks or so. In a development would expect a bit more as even though the developer has sub-contract crews for the main trades there are inevitably delays in houses becoming ready for reelvant first or second fixing of each main area.

You also have to allow time for the contractor to finish an auxillary items i.e. footpaths , roads, landscaping etc . especially if it was a cul de sac
usually all houses would completed at the same time in phases.

i think a month is extremely optimistic unless you've got some amazing builders. our house was at that stage before christmas. At the moment it's all plumbed, wired and we're waiting for kitchen to go in, painting, 2nd fix carpentry and items mentioned like footpaths etc. The builders are saying they around 2 more months is likely so i wouldn't hold your breath.

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear but just telling it how it is for us. Of course all builders vary so you might be lucky.

Good luck with it x

Wow, im really glad I asked this question. I was seriously deluded. I dont know anybody in the building/trades area so I really was taking a wild guess and never thought about all the issues that goes with building a house.

It suits me if it does take longer, giving me time to save etc. I just needed an approx date to tell my landlord. Looks like ill be spending my summer in Dublin city... Thanks everyone who contributed.