How long do you have to stay in the stock market to make any money??

Car Mad

I had took out the government savings incentive on June 2001 with New Ireland. Got €1 euro for every €4 I contribuated. After 5 years in June 2006 it matured with the total government contribuation been totaled to €3890 plus my own contribuation of €250 per month plus the investment profit brought the total to €21,457.

I took out €7500 in June 2006 leaving €13,957 since then I have contribuated another €7,000 in my monthly contribuation. Which should now leave it valued at €20,957. My recent statment shows that it is only valued at €14 k at the minute.

Now this has been 7 years I have been in this investment. I am just breaking even at the minute had it not been for the government contribuation in the early days I would now be down 4k than what I initially contribuated.

Please someone convince me there is money to be made in the stock market...

I have invested €23k in a similar scheme that is worth €14k at the moment and it looks like it could be another 5 years until it starts making money again. The stock market is worth investing in but there are short term investments and long term. Every decade or so the market does crash but if history tells us anything then it is that it does recover!

To try and make up for it I made some short term investments and a few of these really paid off. Overall I have made money even in this downturn but not that much more if the money was in a high interest account. When the market picks up I would say I will have overall a 18 to 25% return.

OH just to add that I have temporarily stopped paying into the scheme until the market picks up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: