How long can you be still liable for a bill?

well you did employ them for this purpose and tricky or not tricky they, as your advisor, made an error.

Acceptance of this is in the balme as apportioned to the departed solicitor.

You could be seeking costs from them for losses and should use this to just have the outstanding balances written off.

Actually 6 months interest on 65k comes conveniently close to 2k on some deposits.

Point taken Ubiquitous.. but surely if i settled a final bill in good faith it is not a final bill? I paid them their fees as they requested at the time and i dont believe the mortgage company is at fault as the paper copy they provided is correct.. we only have the word of the solicitor that they were incorrectly quoted from them... surely they should check against the paper copy before issuing final bills?

Again this is nothing to do with your solicitor's bill for services provided, but an amount that was refunded incorrectly to you. To repeat what someone else has said, if the shoe was on the other foot and the solicitor had gained two grand through a similar error, they would have no basis for attempting to argue that the money was theirs and not yours. You would therefore have a cut & dried case to recover this sum (along with costs), either in court or otherwise. I'm amazed that you can't see this.