How long before first contact from the Ombudsman ?

if they ignore my letters they will dodge the ombudsman

No, they can't dodge the Ombudsman.

Normally a lender will send you a Final Response Letter. But if they refuse to send you this letter or if they refuse to respond to your written complaints, then the Ombudsman will accept your complaint and write to the bank.

Brendan

No they can't insist on mediation. They encourage mediation but either party is free to reject it and let it go straight to investigation.

You're right. I should have written that they insist on an attempt at mediation.

In one complaint I specifically said: "I don't want mediation, I want to proceed to investigation immediately."

It still want to the mediation team first who asked: "Are you sure you don't want to try mediation?". I had to say no before it went to the investigations team.

It seems to slow down the process even if you don't want it.

I received a reply today from the Ombudsman and they are asking for a final letter from the bank, as I have written 5 letters to the bank and copied to Branch and main office Dublin without response, how am I supposed to get a final letter from them if they are not playing the game?

I received a reply today from the Ombudsman and they are asking for a final letter from the bank, as I have written 5 letters to the bank and copied to Branch and main office Dublin without response, how am I supposed to get a final letter from them if they are not playing the game?
You need to initiate an official complaint with your bank/lender first and this will either resolve your issues or you will receive a final response and be pointed in the direction of the ombudsman. This must be done before the ombudsman will get involved. Be clear in what your compliant is about and and keep clear records of all correspondence from here on. This can be a frustrating process so be prepared for it to take a number of months to complete.

Back