How is tiling measured

ted

Just wondering how tilers measure up. I have an area tiled measuring 100 yd2 from my drawings - all floor tiling. had 112 yd2 used including breakage, cutting etc. The tiler has billed me for 120 yd2. The area was not agreed beforehand - just the rate per yd2. I have my drawings, my own measurements and delivery dockets from the tile shop. What should I do?

ted said:
Just wondering how tilers measure up. I have an area tiled measuring 100 yd2 from my drawings - all floor tiling. I

Lenght x width then divide by 9 to get the square yard.

Eg. 4ft x 4ft = 16 then divide 9 = 1.77 sq yds

Re: How do tilers measure up

Have you asked the tiler about the discrepancy? What did he say?

The tiler might be "bumping" up the area to allow for the extra labour invlolved in cutting tiles around pipes, scribing to irregular walls etc. The flat per yd2 measure is just for that- tiling a plain yd2 with no cutting, scribing or fiddly work which is time consuming.

Or he might have billed you for full boxes of tiles - any spares left over? I think 10% would be a reasonable allowance for wastage

If you are getting your own tiles add at least 10% to the yardage(actually tends to come in M2 now) for wastage and spares

I haven't approached the tiler yet. Had him do another area where there were lots of turns and he charged me extra according to my measurements by 10%. I tackled him on it but he had started the floor and threatened to walk. I didn't want to have another tiler finsh what he had started, his workmanship is great, but I suppose I didn't expect to have an over measurement twice.

The question is though should I pay for the wastage or just the area tiled. I don't want to be too specific but there was approx. 90 yds without cutting.

But you understand that there's more labour involved in tiling around corners and obstacles etc than there is in tiling a plain square? I think the tiler's pricing is reasonable but perhaps he could have given you an explanation for how he prices the job.