How far in advance should I book to go to Birmingham

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am going to Coventry on 1 April to be there by about noon. I will be coming back on the Sunday mid afternoon, but flexible.

Both Ryanair and Aer Lingus have flights at 6.30 on the 1st April and no other flights that morning. Might they be adding later flights later? I don't know how it works?

I don't suppose there is anyway of finding out if some new airline is planning to fly from Dublin to Coventry Airport?

Brendan

Re: How far in advance should I book to go to Bermingham

I would book now I don't find that they change the schedule often - I have waited in vain for that with RyanAir before. Usually the price just goes up in the meantime. I booked a RyanAir flight this week that would have cost me €20 less last week

Agree with Kazbah, could it be a special 'April 1' stategy to have only one flight in the morning?

leave it too late and you'll pay.if you are flexible then use your head and book now to save yourself the £££'s

Hi Brendan,

I've had a look at [broken link removed] site and nothing shows up for Coventry so I presume you are therefore travelling to Birmingham. Isn't it annoying that Aer Lingus and Ryanair have two flights within ten minutes of each other and nothing from either until 12.20. When I dealt with travel some years ago and I queried the stupidity of this someone told me it was because they are in direct competition, not sure if they meant the route or what?

A possible PM to who is our resident travel expert might give some further info. on new carriers.

I checked out tripadvisor, opodo, expedia and skyscanner to no avail.

P.S. You're not playing an early April fool on us considering the flight date?

I'm confused - the thread originally said Bermingham which I took to mean Birmingham so changed it but the contents mention Coventry. Is this some arcane April fool's joke?

Hi Clubman,

Our posts crossed - same idea on the April fool.

AFAIK there are no flights to Coventry on Saturday, 1st April and I take it that Birmingham is the nearest airport to there.

I also wondered if Brendan was being sent to Coventry rather than going there willingly.

Unless there's a big match or special event the schedules are probably fairly fixed at this stage ... Pretty unlikely to have extra flights added.

If you know when you want to go I'd book it now ... The fares are fairly good at the moment so they're not going to get any cheaper and they may well get more expensive (especially the Sunday one as Sunday evenings are busier than Saturdays on Ireland-UK routes usually)

East Midlands isn't very far from Coventry either (only a little bit further than b'ham airport) but seems to have similarly crap schedules (it's Ryanair only)

Also Coventry is only an hour or so from London on the train ... but by the time you get from the London airport to Kings Cross to catch the train really there's no point ... and UK Trains are expensive so you'd certainly not be saving money.

I don't imagine there'll be a new airline - As far as I know Thomsonfly ( ) did fly the route a while ago ... but Ryanair beat them off it so they don't do so any longer.

Thank you all. No it's not an April Fool trick, just my bad spelling. Thanks for correcting it and saving my repputation for good spelling.

My geography is worse than my spelling. I really have no idea where Coventry is in relation to anywhere else. Which London airport is it nearest and how long is it from there by car? I might be able to get a lift.

I have been meaning for ages to get an atlas, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Brendan

Luton is closest - 110km according to ViaMichelin almost all on Motorways -so only a little over an hour - Luton Airport is just off the M1 which is the main M-way between London and Coventry/Birmingham

Ryanair is your only choice to Luton - schedules are a little less crappy though... 0810 dep DUB arr LTN 0915 on Saturday which isn't too bad. Coming back 1620 and 2025 on the Sunday

Heathrow would be an option also - about 40km further but that's not much on Motorways. Not quite as practical as Luton but much greater choice of flights. The other London Airports wouldn't really make much sense.

The Luton option is really only useful if hiring a car,or being met by someone with a car.
Birmingham Airport to Coventry is less than 30 minutes by bus.

'saving your repputation', haven't got an atlas, getting a lift, How are you going to manage your April 1 trip???