How expensive is Venice?

al2000

Hi all,
How expensive is Venice?
I'm looking to go for a long weekend in January.
How expensive is Venice?
I have done a search on Venice both on the net and here on aam and getting a mixed bag feeling about it being expensive, though some of the hotels seem reasonably priced.
What's the nightlife like there?

We got a reasonable hotel there and price wise didn't notice a massive difference from Dublin in eating out etc. Found the nightlife extremely quiet tho!

Didn't notice it being any more expensive than Ireland TBH. Obviously the little cafés on San Marco square are going to be expensive but go down the little side streets and eat where the locals eat for great value.

Hotels are fairly expensive but some of the pensions are really nice and more reaspnably priced.

Eating etc. is the same or a little cheaper than Dublin. Defo very quiet nightlife but there's always activity around St. Marks square so its nice to spend time strolling around there....

Fabulous place...Would highly recommend to go their at least once in your life. I would have suggested later in the year though as it will be milder but not too hot as to make it smelly. Agree with the last few posters...same sort of prices as Ireland...Beer was a bit more expensive but hey, you're on holidays. I think we stayed four nights for about €500 including breakfast....Nice little hotel in a great spot (I'll dig out the name of it if you want).....Wasn't aware of any nightlife clubwise but having a glass of vino outside a restaurant with the buzz of canal traffic going by was the business !

Thanks all, for your replies.
r2d2, that would be great if you could find out the name of the hotel.

al2000,

I am reliably informed by Mrs d2 that it was The Hotel Canal & Walter. We did a fair bit of research and were looking for something really as just a base. It was a 2 star and the rooms were small but I guess that's pretty typical in Venice. Staff were very friendly, not a bad continental breakfast and somewhere to leave your luggage after you checked out if your flight wasn't until later. The best bit for us was that it was very close to the bus station so easy to find in the first place, easy to get back to and easy to get back to the airport !! (I've heard all sorts of stories about people taking a couple of hours trying to find their hotels in Venice) Now, don't be put off by being close to the bus station....It's really just a car park and when you walk around the corner from it you are transported to a different world altogether....It's like something you'd expect in Disney ! We booked with venere.com. If you go I'd also recommend you buy a multi day pass for the water buses...they are great. Venice is a beautiful place to walk around but they allow you to hop on and hop off to get to your intended destination and they are a great bit of fun as an experience. PM me if there's anything else you want to know!!

r2d2

I was also thinking of going to venice for long weekend , but cannot deciede when to travel. Can anyone advise on the best time of year to go, I was thinking along the lines of march or april what do you think?

Coleen,

We went in May and it was lovely.....Mean temperatures for that time are as follows....

April 54
May 63
June 69

r2d2

i wqs in may just getting lovely and warm

hotel was most expensive part but lovely the place is amazing perfect for just wandering about

much cheaper than dublin

It's lovely in January, especially if there is snow. But it can be cold. I found it very good value, cheaper than Dublin, especially away from the main tourist areas. See my post in:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=2286&highlight=venice
As fro nightlife, the Lonely Planet Venice city guide gives a list of good bars. Otherwise, you can listen to umpteen diffrent performances of 'The Four Seasons' in various churches.

Thanks all for your replies, still doing a bit of diggin', seems there's a bad story for every two or three good stories for some hotels.
Some reviews on tripadvisor, can really put you off, especially if your paying 100/120 euro a night.
The jury's out on this one. It's going to be a surprise for my gf, last thing I want is turning up at the hotel and killing the romance with some dodgy room.

One thing I will say about Venice is that the food is very expensive (generally) for what you get. A stingy plate of spagetti with an ounce of sauce........... €14 ! There seems be a proliferation of 'tourist restaurants' much as you find in a Spanish resort which all have the exact same menu.

Walking about is the only way to find the nice places the Venetians themselves eat.......... these are rare & if you find one make sure to note its location !

In saying that, Venice is absolutely beautiful . A completely different place with no cars, just people strolling around. If you are going for a couple of days, you might be well to plan say one activity per day.... say shopping day on Sat, churches & sightsseeing Sun. And if you can use the waterbuses as much as you, a great way to see the other islands & the beautiful buildings.

Accom. in hotels can be expensive but apartment rental is sooo much cheaper. 1 week in basic apartment can cost less than €400 so you can afford a week long stay instead of a weekend. Combine this with mid-week flights with Ryanair and Venice becomes much cheaper. We stayed in Ca Badoer. [broken link removed] Very basic but we used it only as a base. Gives you a better understanding of Venice and the resturants are off the tourist trail so are better quality. Today - Ryanair 14-2 until 21-2 is only €85 inc taxes but excl. baggage for 2 adults. Valentines in Vencie....Nice.

Not as expensive as you would think. Check out Hotel Mercurio between Piazza San Marco and Rialto. Great little rooms on the canal with gondolas passing by all day. We spent 4 nights there a few years ago and would go back tomorrow.