How does this Dell PC Quote look....?

The Pool Boy

Vostro 200 MT
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Processor (2.0 GHz,800Mhz,2MB Cache)
Windows XP Home edition (I stayed away from Vista)
Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2*1024)
19" Flat Panel Screen
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro PCI express Graphics card
320GB(7200rpm) Hard Drive with 16MB databurst cache
13 in 1 Media Card Reader
Dell v92 Data/Fax Modem with cable
16* DVD +/- RW Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel High definition Audio
Dell A525 Speakers with audio
Microsoft Works 8.0
Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
No Virus protection included

Total €582 incl VAT and delivery

It's for my dad, just for general home use - web, e-mail, letter writing etc.

I went with Vostro (which is under the business section) because it seems cheaper than the Inspiron or Dimension models. Should I have...?

I assume the modem will be built in...?

Tell me what this PC will and will not do !!!!...I don't want to land him with a turkey, but this is ballpark what he wants to spend !!!

That PC and price is way over the odds for this sort of application/user profile in my opinion.

In what way is it over the odds Clubman...?

I had thought €550 for a PC that will be relatively future proofed for a good few years wasn't bad....he was willing to spend more.

As for the technical aspects, where have I over specced it...?

As for that PC in question, does the price/spec seem reasonable, putting aside the end user...?

The RAM, HD and processor look quite large/powerful if you are not running Vista, and 19" is quite a large monitor, but if you are looking to 'future proof' then it looks ok.

Far too powerful and expensive for running XP to do the sort of tasks that you mention in your first post in my opinion.

I wanted the 2GB RAM so that it will run Vista in future, but I selected XP based on recommendations from a search on this site. At least I'll get the benefit myself of the improved performance when I visit !

Maybe I'm missing something on the Dell website, but I don't seem to be able to drive the price down by too much more.

Check the boards.ie Bargain Alerts forum as there are often very cheap Dell offer codes posted there.

I got some codes on the Boards.ie thread as mentioned by Clubman and drove price and spec down. Could have gone as low as €312 delivered, but did dickie it up a bit to €450.

Just shows you that there's a labrynth of offers on the Dell site, as initially I wasn't getting too many options to lower the spec and price from the initial route I took in.

Thanks all for the heads up.

Did you remove the extended Dell support (assuming you don't need it) as it usually brings the price down significantly?