How does the stockmarket work

pAnTs

Hi there I would like to educate myself on the workings of the stockmarkets etc. I have to be honest though having never studied anything related to business or the like it all seems like a bit of a minefield! Could someone give some tips to a complete novice please thanks.

Re: Market Predictions

I would suggest reading the material at a site like www.fool.com or www.fool.co.uk, get yourself some books on the subject also (from your local library) and start a portfolio at a site like www.yahoo.com and play with some funny money for a while until you are comfortable investing your own money.

My own experiences have leaned me towards the US market because there is so much information available on prospective companies but be aware that there is a currency risk when you do that. My own personal policy is to invest in companies that I like to research who make products that I own/use or at least understand; otherwise following your investments becomes a chore. And lastly, never ever take a tip on a company and follow it until you have done your own due diligence.

Good Luck.