How does the court system work???

Tessi

Hi myself and my partner owe money for bank over drafts/loans and one other supplier for our failed business. The business was in both our names so we owe these debts jointly. The two credit cards o/s balances are in my name. The mortgage is in my partners name.

My question is: how does the law work in relation to paying back debts . We are not trying to get out of our responsibilities but have absolutely no money/assets and do not forsee having any in the long term. We will most definitely be brought to court over these debts. How does the court work. What happens when you dont have the means to pay back.

I know that when one has a house and if its sold, the proceeds will go to the creditor who has a judgement on it. Can a judgement be made for example, my two credit companies against a house in my partners name.

The problem with the house is it has gone down in value so much that if it were sold, we would be lucky to get even half of what is owed in total, which is approx 23,000.

If anyone has any experience of courts and law I'd apprecitate it. We had our first letter from an x business supplier who has stated that if the invoice isn't paid in full within the next 7 days, they will bring us to court and we will have to foot the bill. We just don't have the money or even part of it and we definitely wouldn't have money for solicitors. This invoice is 1,000.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

What can the court do

Hi myself and my partner owe money for bank over drafts/loans and one other supplier for our failed business. The business was in both our names so we owe these debts jointly. The two credit cards o/s balances are in my name. The mortgage is in my partners name.

My question is: how does the law work in relation to paying back debts . We are not trying to get out of our responsibilities but have absolutely no money/assets and do not forsee having any in the long term. We will most definitely be brought to court over these debts. How does the court work. What happens when you dont have the means to pay back.

I know that when one has a house and if its sold, the proceeds will go to the creditor who has a judgement on it. Can a judgement be made for example, my two credit companies against a house in my partners name.

The problem with the house is it has gone down in value so much that if it were sold, we would be lucky to get even half of what is owed in total, which is approx 23,000.

If anyone has any experience of courts and law I'd apprecitate it. We had our first letter from an x business supplier who has stated that if the invoice isn't paid in full within the next 7 days, they will bring us to court and we will have to foot the bill. We just don't have the money or even part of it and we definitely wouldn't have money for solicitors. This invoice is 1,000.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

The courts cant make you pay something that you dont have.
You might want to try come to some agreement with your ex suppliers. But if I was you Id do some research on credit cards and bank loans and see what info you can come up with that can help you.
Try www.getoutofdebtfree.org
and google Mary Crofts - How I clobbered every cash confiscatory agency known to man (?) for info on dealing with banks. Her website is www.spiritualeconomics.com

Get your studying cap on and dont be worrying about the banks. They got us into this mess after all.

Back