How does Aer Lingus flight cancellation compensation work

Life_pondering

Hello all,

I was recently due to fly with Aer Lingus from London to Ireland. The flight was cancelled approx 1 hour before I was due to fly. Aer Lingus indicated we had two options:

1. Stay overnight in London. They would not source accommodation but reasonable expenses would be reimbursed.

2. Fly to an alternate airport in Ireland. Again no help provided to get to the original airport but promise of reasonable expenses being reimbursed.

As I needed to get home, I opted for option 2. We arrived in around midnight so no public transport available and as indicated no help provided to get back. I took a taxi and sought reimbursement but they only paid around 50%.

Any one know what the appropriate practices are here?

Thanks
LP

Few years ago now but I once had to claim from them for a baggage charge on the return leg of a flight (issue with their system told the agent at check in I hadn't paid even though the confirmation information clearly stated I had). At that time the only option available was to log it online and wait, I tried a few phone numbers but everyone I spoke to advised that the online form was the only option. Took 6 months to resolve.