How does a novice buy 10k worth of bank shares?

TwoWheels

Hi all,
Before I ask the question, I want to keep to the rules of AAM.
I am not asking what bank I should/shouldn't invest in.
I am not asking the merits of this investment.

How would someone who has never bought shares before, but is willing to punt 10k on a bank go about it?

In other words, If I had €10k I could afford (in theory) to lose, how do I buy shares in an irish bank ?

Thanks for any info..

you could go into any aib branch and buy over the counter ,the comission is 100 and stamp duty is 1%.
or you could ring sharewatch they charge 50 comission plus the 1%

I'd go for prize bonds if I had 10K to spend. Basically you're not taking any risk in losing your money and there's a huge chance with the amount your inputting that you could win serious money (as you'd be block buying) - therefore inreasing your investment. The prize bond draw takes place every month with a chance of winning one million (I think), plus there's loads of other prizes.

You can get your money back if you get fed up.

Last edited:
So I phone "Sharewatch" (I'll google them) and it's an easy transaction to complete ?
Cost is €50 plus 1% of €10k = €150? then CGT on any excercised profits if and when that happens?

Thanks for info..

Well you certainly would be punting your 10k.

the 'dash for trash' has unfortunately happend. You are 8 months too late to that party.

If you want to invest in shares read up on the subject and start with high yield dividend safe plays such as vodafone which have yet to rise and have some fundamentals to support their prices.

The banks are not investments. Pure speculation.

So I phone "Sharewatch" (I'll google them) and it's an easy transaction to complete ?
Cost is €50 plus 1% of €10k = €150? then CGT on any excercised profits if and when that happens?

Thanks for info..

Dont worry about CGT your unlikely to make a profit to warrant taxation!!!

The banks are up 500% or so since Jan. Get into a sector with a future and which hs yet to rise.

Back