How does a foreigner get a bank account?

mickoneill30

My other half is Aussie. I'm Irish. We came over here earlier this year and she needs to get a bank account here now.

We're married with an Irish marraige cert. She's got a Garda Immigration Card and a PPS number.
She went into Ulster Bank today to open an account and the genius there told her that she needed to show 3 months of statements in an Irish account. She has Aussie statements but they're not good enough. They weren't impressed with her Aussie passport, driving license or GNIB card.

Anybody got any tips.

Try Halifax / Bank of Scotland Ireland. Just launched current accounts, so hungry for the business. Branches open on Saturday mornings.

Thanks for the tip 26cb.

Ulster Bank would have been handy as I like (or did like) them and they're close. We'll by trying the other banks but I just wanted to see if there are any weird requirements for foreigners. Halifax sound good. They're not far from us either. I'll try them MugsGame.

My wife is also non-EU citizen, but had no problem to open account with Bank of Ireland once she had GNIB card and PPS number.

So as 26cb says....go elsewhere.

Ask Ulster Bank to give you their rules/requirements in writing. This sounds like an employee not being bothered to do some work. I wouldn't stand for it. If it is their policy - they are discriminating by going further than the law.

Friend of mine from US was told by one bank that he needed bank statements etc, I took him to another bank, they wanted a copy of his passport and two utility bills with his US address.

And when you get sorted make sure to inform Ulster Bank....who are touting like crazy at the moment...that they have lost not only your business but anyone who asks your opinion in the future. Never hurts to point it out !

And when you get sorted make sure to inform Ulster Bank....who are touting like crazy at the moment...that they have lost not only your business but anyone who asks your opinion in the future. Never hurts to point it out !

Good point. I'll do that.

I had a look at Halifax's site. In their requirements they need proof of income ([broken link removed]) . She's getting the bank account so she'll have somewhere to put her income when she gets a job. She couldn't work legally here till we were married so she's no proof of income. Hmmmm.

AIBs requirements seem OK. They're just looking for ID (GNIB card is mentioned) and proof of address. So she'll be off to them tomorrow.

The issue here may be to do with getting a debit card or chequebook, as they don't want a new customer running up a large overdraft. UB and Halifax might relax their requirements if you decline the chequebook/debit card initially. The AIB debit card system can check your balance before approving a transaction, hence their more relaxed requirements.

Tell her to be conscious of whether she uses her maiden or married name in opening the account to avoid problems like:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=46866

Some people are tempted to use their maiden name as their passport/ID may still have the maiden name, but if they intend using their married name down the line, they would be better off using it for the account. She would need your marriage cert along with the ID to use her married name (assumming the ID is in her maiden name).

Good luck with it.....I returned to Ireland 6 years ago and had to go throught the opening an account shennanigans, I found National Irish to be helpful....and they were also the best mortgage lenders at that time.

No affiliation....

Would a joint account not make more sense in this situation with a joint credit card/ lazer etc etc

My mate was ina similar circumstance and found Ulster Bank was the only one that would let him oipen an account