How do you renew Norton?

Very surprised that people are having problems renewing Norton AV. I have run it for three years now on this Dell PC and simply follow the instructions when I'm told that it is due for renewal. I also have Norton Firewall since 2003 and have renewed that in the same way.

I too have been using Norton Antivirus for several years now with no probs. Only thing is I always buy the CD for a little bit extra so I can do an add/remove if things go wrong and don't have to waste time fiddling around on the internet. Curious to know - why you also use the Norton Firewall? Is it because it plugs more gaps/holes than Microsoft's Firewall (pardon the simple language)?

With my first Dell, Norton came installed. When something went wrong I ended up talking to a Symantec chap in Holland who explained that Dell only put on a skimpy version of Norton. He advised me to buy the full version which I did. I wonder could that be the reason some posters are having trouble updating NortonAV? Norton only updates once a week - late Wednesday nights - at least that's been my experence. And no virus has ever slunk in - touch wood.

BILLK: thats what I used to do. renew over the net. but your disk is getting 1 year older each passing year and if you have to reinstall for any reason the computer wont take the old disk. that was my problem. Hence I would agree with Sherib if sticking to Norton. AVG updates daily.

I had been renewing the full (purchased) version of Norton antivirus for a number of years but missed the expiry date this year (a couple of weeks ago) and spent hours and half-a-dozen international phone calls trying to renew it!!!!! They ask for a "serial number" and I don't have the original box (as I have been renewing it online a couple of weeks prior to expiry date). It appears to be one of those automated systems which can only cope with yes/no on/off. I had no problems with Norton when I was subscribed but I don't intend to (a) spend any more time trying to crack their code or (b) purchase another pack.

I still have to disable Kerio in order to go online so if any techie happens to read this and can suggest anything I would appreciate it.