How do you put a price on a scrapped car?

beetroot

Hi, My car "died" yesterday and it's not worth fixing (the computer circuit blew and will cost in excess of 1000 to replace) so I was wondering how much could I look for if I went to a scrap yard. It was running fine up to then, no body damage and I would have expected about 1500 trade in maybe. Thanks.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Without seeing it most won't even quote. If you can get a few out to view it you'll get an idea what the going rate is (it'll be less than you think!).

If they happen to have someone looking for parts for the car your breaking/scrapping you may get a good offer. If it's just the ECU and they think they may be able to get it running again without too much cost again it might be a good offer.

Only way to find out is to get a few quotes!

What year/make/model is it? If the car is only worth 1500 I assume that it's a few years old and in that case you should be able to get an ECU in a scrap yard. Changing it is a trivial job. Who told you it's blown anyway and when you say it 'died' what are the symptom.

Thanks for the replies, it's a '98 megane, the RAC guy who came out said the UCH was blown. The symptoms are... the immobiliser light isn't coming on, the right indicator isn't working, the right drivers window isn't working, the hazard lights don't come on (and a few other electrical things but not all). To replace the UCH he said i'd need to replace the key fob, locks on doors, immobilser as well. Don't want to have to bring it to a main dealer and spend 100s on it so was hoping to just sell it for parts maybe? thanks again.

Some scapyards will actually charge to take a car away these days.

Environmental issues and the cost of disposal of fluids and waste are blamed.

I'd go to a scrap yard and see if you can find another Megane, and strip out whatever you need.