How do you KNOW your car has been serviced?

I reckon its a psychological thing that when your car gets serviced it feels like it has more power or goes better. I've serviced hundreds of cars and they all feel the same afterwards. Don't get me wrong, servicing is essential for the cars longevity.

Thanks again for the replies.

Yes, the car is an Audi. I brought it to an Audi dealer who charged me €85 for the diagnostics tests but still couldn't figure what the problem was. Reckoned it was a turbo-related problem. Suggested I didn't drive any further until they had time to investigate further i.e. take the car apart and charge me a fortune. He suggsested I didn't drive it in the meantime.

Brought it to a well recommended non-main dealer who carried out the diagnostics (for free), was equally baffled but rubbished the notion that it was somehow unsafe to drive.

Then brought it to a friend of my wife's family who also has the diagnostic testing facility. The test showed up an error which he said prompted the engine to go into "safe" mode. He was able to temporarily "lift" the fault, thus returning the car to full power. He reckons the problem is a valve which he needs to order.

Meanwhile the car has returned to safe mode. The other night, I tried a racing start from traffic light to see if it would make any difference. I put the car in first gear, held the clutch down and revved hard before relaesing the clutch. Hey presto, the car returned to full power and has been going well since (that's about three days, now).

No idea why or how this should make a difference but it has.

thats good to know. could be a faulty air flow sensor, may as well drive away till you really can identify the problem part, when its in limp home mode, then it should tell you whats wrong, of course all this depends on the guy using the diagnostic equip, and not always the equip is wrong

In 20yrs of driving I've yet to be impressed by a main dealer about anything.

Whereas, good independent mechanic's are usually very good, in my experience.