How do you know whats legal or not?

truthseeker

So i was chatting to a friend and mentioning there is a particular tv series that has just come back to US tv and wondering when it will hit the UK channels so I can watch it.

Said friend says 'oh, the first episode is great, I watched it online'. So I ask where and she gives me a particular website address.

Off I go, it doesnt seem dodgy, I dont have to do anything funky, I simply go to the website, type in the name of the tv show, and I get a video stream of the show. Im not downloading anything, and Im not doing anything that 'feels' wrong - its quite a mainstream site too.

But is it legal? And how do you know if it isnt? It seems to me its too easy to be illegal!! Its as easy and familiar as going to Youtube.

Im not making a copy of anything, downloading anything or doing any kind of file-sharing (or if I am Im unaware of it), Im just looking at a streamed video in my browser.

So is it legal? And how do you know if it isnt?

I can't see anything illegal there, however if you had no TV and and didn't have a TV Licence if would probably be illegal in this country.

Just to add - the show has already been shown on US tv - its not that Im watching it prior to release.

beware, there are uber sensitive people on this site re this issue - prepare to be put in the stocks !!!

Im sensitive to it myself - thats why Im asking, I dont want to watch stuff if it IS illegal.

Think the main question is whether it was it legally or illegally uploaded (not by you, obviously) onto the site where you watched it?

I've watched live football online, it's usually re-broadcast by someone who's watching it live on TV - not 100% legal on their part, I guess, and maybe I'm considered an accomplice!!

It all depends and the TV show one is much greyer than music or films.

First, watching streams on online is not considered a broadcast and is not covered by the tv licencing.

Then it depends on where you viewed the programme. Like RTE and BBC, some other stations in the US allow you to watch the programme through their website (they don't have the same proxy restrictions with some because they are commercially funded, but that's not always the case). In some cases there are also "authorised" distributors who have the shows online who again are funded by advertising, plus iTunes also offer tv shows (pay per view) in some regions. So it may well have been through one of these legitmate sources and no problems.

Second is the grey area of viewing a stream from a country that doesn't have the same copyright laws. So it is essentially legal to watch a show from that webiste originating in that country. Kind of.

Then there's the downloading the file from P2P webistes. That is copyright infringement.

beware, there are uber sensitive people on this site re this issue - prepare to be put in the stocks !!
Beware, there are also criminals on this site re this issue!