How do you get the seats with more leg room?

techman

Will soon be travelling to NYC with Aer Lingus.

How do you go about getting the seats with the extra leg room - beside the emergency exits?

Is it just a matter of checking in early and requestiing them?

Is there an extra cost?

They can't allocate them in advance as they have to visually inspect the passenger to ensure they won't obstruct the exit in an emergency. So just turn up early. Not sure about Aer Lingus, but I've never been charged extra on other airlines. Guess I'll find out next month when I do the same route

Depending on the plane, there may also be bulk-head seats with extra leg room. In that case you may be seated beside a baby though!

techman said:
Will soon be travelling to NYC with Aer Lingus.

How do you go about getting the seats with the extra leg room - beside the emergency exits?

Is it just a matter of checking in early and requestiing them?

Is there an extra cost?

There is no extra charge.
Just turn up early and ask for them.
Better still, Aer Lingus now have automatic check-in whereby you can use a machine (it's within the departure area), key in your details, and choose exactly the seats that you want (exit seats are marked as "exit" seats). It couldn't be easier.

Enjoy the trip.

Trouble is that Aerlingus sometimes keep these seats for their favoured gold circle members on trans atlantic routes and regular joes don't get a look in at all.

I've only ever heard of having to pay for them on package deal type charter airlines..
You can never be guaranteed them as they are often used for passengers with a specific need that may have a higher priority than yours. (in the eyes of the airline). And yes the Gold Circle/Frequent Flyer status might be that higher priority.

My brother was reserving seats with extra leg room a while back and if you are over a certain height, I think it is 6'4" or something around that they will reserve one for you, or at least they used to.

Christy

bond-007 said:
Trouble is that Aerlingus sometimes keep these seats for their favoured gold circle members on trans atlantic routes and regular joes don't get a look in at all.

Correct. That's generally what they tell me when I get refused/laughed at when I ask.

Aer Lingus give seat numbers at the time of booking now so you have to call them if you want them changed. Don't think there's much point turning up earlier these days.

You can read about my fight with aerlingus about seat numbers. Showing up early will achieve nothing.

They only allocate seat numbers for transatlantic flights at time of booking. Even so you get no choice in the seats the give you save choice of window/aisle. On european flights its a case of pot luck and showing up early.

Looks like I won't be able to book them. Here's the Aer Lingus policy on seating:

AER LINGUS POLICY ON SEAT REQUESTS

SEAT REQUESTS

UNITED KINGDOM AND EUROPE:
Reserved seating is available and assigned on a first come first served
basis at Check in on the day of departure.

USA
Reserved seating available assigned at the time of booking, or online up
to 30 hrs pre departure or by phoning your local reservations office.
Details of your local reservations office can be found on
aerlingus.com-need help-contact us.

BULK HEAD AND BASSINET SEATS:
These seats need to be booked with your local reservations office. In
order to assign these seats there must be an infant in the booking
otherwise they are assigned on a first come first served basis at check
in on the day.

EMERGENCY EXIT SEATS:
For safety reasons passengers who sit at the exits must be able bodied.
Exit seats will be assigned only by check-in on the day of departure.

GROUPS:
Reserved seating available at the time of booking.

anytime i have gone to america with aer lingus the emergency exit seats are already gone and they are always are giving to the americans especially if the flight is coming dublin via shannon they are gone at shannon and vice versa if flying out from shannon

Liverlips -- I can't follow your post above, sorry!
Do you check-in at Shannon?

In my experience with other airlines, seat assignments are never final.
BA moved a passenger after boarding in order to give me more legroom.
Even Ryanair bent their rules and let me sit in an otherwise closed row.
Perhaps they are conscious about being sued for DVT (I'm very tall!).
Hopefully Aer Lingus are no different!

MugsGame said:
Even Ryanair bent their rules and let me sit in an otherwise closed row.
I thought Ryanair didn't do any seat assignments and it was just first-come first-served when you board the plane.

Flew to Cork recently with Ryanair, and the first 6 rows were closed off on both legs of the flight. First time I've come accross it with them.

I thought Ryanair didn't do any seat assignments and it was just first-come first-served when you board the plane.

The seat assignment reference was to BA -- sorry if this wasn't clear.

When I mentioned Ryanair I was referring to their frequent practice of closing the first few front and back rows, usually because the flight isn't full.

Just an update on my experiences flying to the US with Aer Lingus -- it seems they are very reluctant to release emergency exit or bulk-head seats to economy class passengers. On my recent transatlantic flights with them I was told at checkin that no emergency-exit or bulkhead seats were available, only to have vacant seats pointed out to me once we were in flight. It wasn't possible to reserve seats in advance. Arrive early and use self-checkin is probably the best strategy.

I would agree with you there. Their checkin staff are definitely arrogant in dealing with pax that ask polietly for these seats.

Just a note of caution about the bulk head seats...they are often used for holding the bassinets for any babies travelling and families with young children normally book these up. If you do manage to get one... you might want to bring your earplugs with you

I am just back from NY and even on the self check in machines the emergency exits were not available, you had to go to the desk to enquire.

If you cant get them i would recommend booking row 9 if you can. Its not an emergency exit but it is the first row of economy after business class ends...there is a large partition in front blocking the rich folk off and the leg room is more then the norm so its a good way of getting some extra leg room. There is also a TV screen on the partition so you are sure of being able to see a movie!