How do you get something removed from web that was posted by someone else?

3dolls

Just discovered that someone has posted something on the web about my sister's friend. It's not defamatory, but it is very unpleasant. We know the person who wrote it, and he has mental health issues. He has also sent a handwritten letter to my sister, which was threatening towards her, this friend, and another friend. This is being passed on to the gardai.

Given that employers are beginning to google potential employees before hiring, I'd be concerned about this being allowed to remain. It gives name, address, phone no and some personal details.

Anyone got any experience of this?

Who owns the website in question? Can you complain to them, or at least ask that it is removed?

as ccovich says, try and find the site owner. If its a public forum, there should be a moderator. pm them.

If its bebo they'll take down abusive posts within 1 day (at least thats what they said on the radio a couple of weeks ago).

Yes, check the FAQs, help etc. contact the moderators or admins.
If that fails, or the info is not available you can do a "whois" look up, e.g. with

It tells me that askaboutmoney is registered to Brendan, hosted by hosting365.ie and gives contact info for both.

Back