How do you get a vehicle to the 'end of life' vehicle centre

agencydude

Hi
I need to get a 1992 car to an 'End of life' scrappage centre to get rid of it.
IT didn't pass the nct recently so I went off and got another car.
I thought I'd simply have to ring up the insurance company and get temporary insurance on it for the day.
However when I rang them up and said it doesn't have an up to date nct cert and its over 10 yrs old they said they won't insure it.

I presume now I have to pay someone to take it away.

Anyone know typically how much that would cost and do they know of any companies in co. wicklow who would do it.

Do the scrap yards not collect? I seen a neighbour having an old car being towed on the back of a lorry?

Have a look at this taken from the Citizens' Information website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/how-to-dispose-of-an-end-of-life-vehicle
Will the authorised treatment facility collect the vehicle if the registered owner is unable to transport it to the facility?

This is a matter for the owner of the vehicle. An authorized treatment facility that forms part of a producers network is bound to accept any specified vehicle of that producer’s brand and may not charge. An independent authorized treatment facility may refuse to accept any vehicle but if it is accepted, no charge can be made. In both cases this is subject to the vehicle being largely intact. If the vehicle has to be transported to the treatment facility (for example by tow truck), it is the responsibility of the owner to meet this cost.
There is no single list of authorized treatment facilities for end-of-life vehicles. For details of your local permitted treatment facility, contact your local authority or the vehicle importer.

Further information on the law about depositing end-of-life vehicles is available from the Waste Policy Prevention and Recovery Section of:

Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government

Custom House
Dublin 1
IRELAND
Tel: (01) 888 2000
Locall: 1890 202 021
Fax: (01) 888 2888
Homepage: http://www.environ.ie

Summerhill Spares in Malahide road, coolock in Dublin took 2 old cars of mine free of change and collected next day! Im in south dublin. The also issued scrappage certs which is important.

Back