How do you clean your oven?

Audrey

Just had a guy here to clean my gas cooker (oven, grill etc). I can't get it sparkling clean, no matter what I do. The usual oven cleaners (sprays available in all supermarkets) don't seem to do the trick, or maybe I just don't use them properly. Now that it's sparkling, I want to keep it that way. How do YOU clean your oven? Where am I going wrong?

Now that your oven is clean here is a tip for making it easier to clean next time round. Make a paste of baking soda and water about the consistency of milk and paint this on all your oven surfaces with a pastry brush or a clean small paint brush, it wont look great but boy does it do away with all that hard work and you know its just baking soda and water.

I clean the oven every time I use it and the hob as well. It's the only way to keep it clean.

If the oven has burnt on material one of the "Astonish" products used with a green scouring pad together with some elbow grease will do the job.

I clean the oven every time I use it and the hob as well. It's the only way to keep it clean.
. That's what I want to do now. As you say, it's the only way. What do you use when you clean it every time?

Who was that guy that cleaned your cooker? Can you get a professional oven cleaning service? Just bought a house recently and the cookers is in a dreadful state. I haven't had the energy yet to attack the inside, but I will give that baking soda recipe a go for sure!

I would consider buying a new one if this doesn't work!! [broken link removed]

I've got so much stuff to buy, it has to do for a while! It works alright, just too many tenants in that house before with little interest in cleaning, it appears.

I have used a product called Oven Pride - it is available in Homebase - costs about €8 - Brilliant stuff - no strong smell & my oven that hadn't been cleaned properly for almost 3 years is gleaming - All the racks are like brand new and the inside of the oven is spotless - Intend keeping on top of the job from now on !!!

Recently bought a house with a filthy oven, tried many products & eventually Fairy Power Spray... the business. oven sparkling like new now.

. That's what I want to do now. As you say, it's the only way. What do you use when you clean it every time?
I use Fairy power spray while the oven is still slightly warm - so the grease etc. doesn't have a chance to harden/cling.

Buy a self cleaning one

lol my mother has one of those... she hadn't "cleaned" the oven in over a year, then she pressed the self-clean button. Cue the smoke alarm going off and the house stinking of icky oven goo. If you have a self cleaning oven, my advice is to use the feature at least once a month!