How do you break through a brick wall?

brian.mobile

I want to make a door from the top of my stairs into an over garage void in my house. This will then be converted into a room.

It will entail:

1) cutting through the plasterboard / baton frame on landing
2) breaking through the wall behind (concrete bricks, non cavity)
3) Supporting the top of the door with a concrete lintel

Any advice on any of the above appreciated.

Best regards,

BM

can you access the over garage void ? if so I would cut through the concrete first before opening into the house - will make cleaning and your missus much happier if there is little concrete dust in the house (it gets everywhere)
to cut through the concrete - mark wall and use a diamond blade con saw to cut through - will be very dusty so make sure you have all the right breathing equip etc. or you can get the pro's in with a wet saw.
what thickness concrete is it ? once you've finished cutting through you'll just have to break it out with sledge hammer.

Be very careful when knocking walls out! Get expert advice on what you need to do.

Get an engineer out - if it's a supporting wall you'll need to put in steel beams and get a cert of compliance.

It's only a dividing wall. Not supporting anything major. I'll still put a lintel up.

I can get access to the void.

Can you rent these saws?

I'm pretty handy folks.....

Expert advice? Isnt that why I'm on this?

BM

we got an extension built a few yrs back over our side garage & utility and the 2 new bedrooms were to be accessed by the opening like yourself, at the top of the stairs.

The builders worked outside first building up the extension. Then cut the wall from the outside and did all the dirty work outside in teh extension, cutting into the blocks and removing them there. Then they punched through the plasterboard from the inside. Steel lintel had to go in to support the opening.

Be careful about one thing. The height of your floor in your landing may not match up exactly with the height of your new floor and you may end up with the levels not being the same between the new room floor and your existing landing floor. TBH, there is nothing you can do about it. Mine was an inch higher on the extension side..hardly noticeable

Back