How do you actually bid?

Slaphead

Is it a matter of just ringing the EA up and putting it in over the phone?

Been reading up on it and some suggest a letter, (explaining why the bid is way below the asking price for example). Any suggestions?

I read in one book tha the letter should have 5 parts:

1)The figure bid, in words and numbers.
2)Name and adress of solicitor
3) A letter form the mortgage co saying the loan has been agreed. I onbviously dont want a letter saying were entitled to borrow than were currently bidding.
4) A letter from the bank saying the deposit is in the bank
5) A presonal note

What do youse think?
Im also slightly unsure of where to go in, perfect house for us, 3-4 yrs old, ca €330k new, now priced under 300k, would €210 be too cheeky, we prepared to go as far as €250k for it.

Ring .... I did. You'll also get an indication if the bid would be acceptable to the vendors or not.

I made two phone calls .... and then I called personally to the EA's office to place my final bid ... it was accepted. All was done orally. I never put my bids in writing.

Start low .... you can go up. If you start high or at your limit ... that's it ... your bidding is done. Nothing wrong with a €210 start just to gauge reaction. It gives you a €40k window to play around with.

Your €210 might be rejected out of hand by the EA .... vendor might have given him a bottom limit and EA's hands would be tied.

Ring up .... offer €210k and see what the reaction is.

(I presume that you arranged a viewing with the EA? If you did you should have got an indication of what might be an acceptable offer. If you haven't gone for a viewing ..... go for one before you place an offer.)

I saw it last week but i normally try to avoid talking money with them until im serious, i find you cant get a straight answer out of them. Im expceting my 210k bid to be rejected but my plan is to have 3-5 houses that i would be prepared to buy and whoever wants to sell the most will maybe agree to reduce the price. This would be my favourite house but im not going to go further than 250k.

Ohh and ill probably go with the simple phone call then.

Slaphead, you have it sussed now. Best of luck and let us knoiw how you get on.

What do i do if/ when he rejects it immediately or asks me if it's final? Im thinking ill tell him to run it by them either way but he might not, i want to leave it with him coming looking for me next time, ie i rang the owners and they rejected it. Im guessing he'll be back in touch within a few days, how long do i wait before upping it?

In my case I made an initial offer during my first phone call and I had risen my offer by €40k before the phone call ended.

He came back to me within a few days (vendors living abroad) to tell me that they had rejected my bid out of hand. This was before Christmas.

I let it lie over Christmas and then personally called to him during the first week in January .... I upped my bid by another €40k and told him that was my final offer. He phoned me that afternoon and told me that my increased offer had been accepted. I posted a deposit to him the following day.

I wanted the house and I went to my limit in my purchase price .... I was able to do that because I started way down (€80k way down). The vendors dropped €70k to meet me. The biggest difficulty I had was that they weren't in any major rush to sell .... they were prepared to let the property sit until they got a price they wanted.

When I called to the EA to place my final bid I also told him that I had an offer in on another place by a competing EA and that it was up for €11k less than my final offer. I also told him that I was sure that I'd get it for at least €30k less than that again. It would have been €40k less than the my final bid on this property.

I was interested in the house but I was prepared to walk. I emphasised the slowing down in house sales etc. and told him that I had the cash to purchase at the ready.

I got the house at the limit I was prepared to go to and able to go to comfortably - I set my own upper limit .... which was much lower than the limit the bank was prepared to lend me to.

Of course I'd love to have got it at the €80k less initial bid but that was (to be honest) fantasy. No vendor is prepared to give property away.

I have a long term plan for the house and am happy with what I paid. A few years ago I wouldn't even have got a look in.

Explain to the EA that you are looking at other houses as well, (give him a few addresses) and to revert to you whether yay or nay. It's a buyers market out there and don't be pressurised.

I wouldn't make it too complicated as it easy to spot a bad liar. Make your offer keep the conversation short and sweet and let him know that you expect feedback this week.

Is it a matter of just ringing the EA up and putting it in over the phone?

Been reading up on it and some suggest a letter, (explaining why the bid is way below the asking price for example). Any suggestions?

I read in one book tha the letter should have 5 parts:

1)The figure bid, in words and numbers.
2)Name and adress of solicitor
3) A letter form the mortgage co saying the loan has been agreed. I onbviously dont want a letter saying were entitled to borrow than were currently bidding.
4) A letter from the bank saying the deposit is in the bank
5) A presonal note

What do youse think?
Im also slightly unsure of where to go in, perfect house for us, 3-4 yrs old, ca €330k new, now priced under 300k, would €210 be too cheeky, we prepared to go as far as €250k for it.

Play your cards close to your chest. It really is a game of poker. Just put in the bid you want to. You have no need to explain yourself to anyone or go attaching conditions.

The only information other than the bid I'd give is to say whether you are in a chain or not and that you are looking at several places

Here’s my bidding tips based on personal experience.
Expect your first low offer to be rejected out of hand. This is normal. You will be told the seller can't accept it, and that they are in no hurry to sell. Never increase your offer in the first phone call. Pick a walkaway figure and stick to it.
You will expect to go through 2 or 3 or more rounds of ‘that’s all we can afford, we will have to leave it at that so, that’s a pity’, until you get to your walkaway figure, so don’t leap up to it straightaway. In this climate the deal may take weeks or even months to do rather than days.
Also never run the house down with negative comments or pointing out the bad points in an effort to back up your low offer, you will only annoy the EA. The EA cannot use that sort of info to get the seller to drop the price. Agree it's a great property with great potential but that the money is the issue not the house.
So EA refuses you first offer, you need to make sure they actually put the offer to the seller, if the EA thinks you have any more to spend they will try and wring another few quid out of you before taking the offer to the seller. (And they’d be right to, it’s their job!). So if you are determined to get that particular property be prepared to leave it for a couple of weeks before going back with a slightly increased offer. If EA has not come back to you with a reduced asking after 2 weeks you could up your offer slightly if you wish.
Having rejected your first really low offer, the EA may come back with a slightly reduced asking. This is a signal they are prepared to do a deal and consider you a serious buyer, it’s just a case of can you both do the deal down to your walkaway point. Drop into the conversation the fact that you have viewed another property since seeing theirs, or that you are viewing something else this week. The EA is working for the seller but at the same time they are trying to do the deal, so they are working for both of you in some respects. Sometimes they are genuinely up against a seller that can’t accept the low offer and it may take a few weeks for the EA to work them down to a figure closer to your price.

Back up your really low offer with the guarantee that you have the deposit and mortgage approval and are not in a chain. NEVER give actual figures of how much you have to spend or how much savings you have. Also, you need to establish the situation of the seller – have they moved out, when can they move out, do they have anywhere to go, how soon could they close the deal. Asking this sort of information also shows you are serious about doing the deal.
You need to play hard to get - or rather play assertive and prepared to walk away. So don’t ring the EA back too quickly looking for answers and don’t snatch up the phone on the first ring when they call you back, let them leave you a message and get back to them later that day.

Don't get emotionally involved
One big mistake many amateur negotiators make is to become too emotionally attached to winning. Also, if they can see you're timid about the whole business, many will take advantage of that fact.

Most deals are only possible if both people feel they're getting something out of it. If the person across the table feels attacked, or doesn't like you, they probably won't back down. Keep calm, patient and friendly, even if the other person starts losing their cool. Make sure you leave any pride or ego at the door. You're much more likely to do well that way. That's why you will initially give a really low offer, so that you can up it a bit to where the seller feels you have gone as much as you can towards meeting them.

Let them believe the final decision doesn't rest with you
Once a negotiation starts, most people want to get it over with as quickly as possible. Don’t let your impatience beat you. One great way of doing this is to let them believe the person they're negotiating with isn't actually you, but some other "authority figure". Eg. Your husband or The Mrs, the Bank, whoever. Keep saying something like "Well, I'll have to talk it over with my spouse / partner /solicitor before I can come back to you". Keep the exchanges with EA really short to buy time, if you give a good gabber time they will rush you into something you may not have intended, like revealing you'd be prepared to pay a higher price. Good idea is to say you are not that keen on the house but the girlfriend/husband/my folks think it’s really great.

So does anyone have any ideas about a situation where there are about 10 identical houses owned by different people. Three by one guy, three by another and four by someone else. All new builds. They are being sold by different estate agents at varying prices. There's a difference of 65k between the lowest and the highest.

Would it be crazy to go for the asking price on the lowest price ?

Would it be crazy to go for the asking price on the lowest price ?

Try going less than the asking price, 'cos if the asking price was anyway near right, the property would be sold already. This is a real buyer's market.

Back