How Do Websites Make Money?

Bluebells

What makes a website or a domain name valuable? How do websites make money?
I can see how online sales or advertising websites make money, but take for example a website that just has song lyrics, translates text, or how to read the night sky. How and why is all this info available to me free?

Not all websites make money or are set up to do so. AAM would be a good example and is fully funded by Brendan and others who have kindly, and with no strings attached, contributed towards running costs over the years.

I'd also like to point out that running a website is very cheap. On the assumption that you don't want to be paid for the hours you put into it (for example, installing the software the website uses and a bit of administration), you only have to pay for the domain name and hosting. This can be as little as €100 per year in total.

If you want to make a few € you can place Google AdSense (https://www.google.com/adsense/home) on your pages. This would generally cut out all domain and hosting fees.

I make websites. Just so you know, it takes a long time before your website will kick off, and if you don't enjoy doing it, you probably won't stick with it.

Also - why is some stuff free? Because lots of people are happy to do stuff for free, share their work and to entertain or assist others etc.

Not everyone is running a business.

A lot of people (like me) used the Internet before the dot com boom. The Internet used to be a fairly non-commerical place. We would still have the mentality that the Internet is not just a money making tool.

Also, a lot of the websites which give information for free are based around the website owners hobbies. And of course, hobbies, by definition, are not things you do for money.