How do we know if site is an option or not

B

buster25

Hi,

We have a site that could possibly be used to build a house. However, there a number of factors why we think it may not recieve planning, i.e. existing entrance is slightly dangerous, current use is commercial and site is in a small village.
My question is, who is the best person to speak to regarding our chances of obtaining planning. I don't want to go to the trouble of getting plans drawn up etc if there is no chance of building.
Are we best to speak to somebody in the council or consult an architect at this stage?
Any insight appreciated.

Thanks

Are we best to speak to somebody in the council or consult an architect at this stage?Thanks

I would speak with both. I would imagine that planning depts are much less busy now than they were so would be able to talk you through some relevant local planning issues..

Don't lay down conditions that prevent execution of the plan.

At the bare minimum you will need to show the planner your intentions.
The pre-planning consultations aren't a talking shop, but a form of workshop where the proposal is tested.

However many local authorities might see this an erosion of their commercial town centre zoning - a planning loss.
Putting residential next to commercial could have serious implications for light industrial or other noise producing enterprises - a planning loss.
If you cease the commercial use and change it to residential you may reduce the number of vehicle movements overall - a possible planning gain.

My best advice is that you should talk to your architect first, let him advise you on the planning requirements and general design issues, produce a block plan and then talk to the planning officer.
Otherwise you could "wing it" and simply talk generally to the planning officer, but your discussion should be informed in relation to the mattes noted above.
Either meeting should actually address issues, as opposed to glide over them or otherwise you could be held up or refused at a later date thinking you were on a clear run

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.