How do people with their name in Gaelic manage with passports and airline tickets etc

ajapale

How do people with fadas in their name manage with passports and airline tickets etc.?

Equally:- hyphens, apostrophies, spaces, O's Mac's etc Ní etc ?

Re: How do people with faddas in their name manage with passports and airline tickets

I leave them out.

I'd prefer to use them, but there is a lack of consistency in how various computer systems process extended character sets, and there is a danger that an "á" will be converted to some odd graphic.

Re: How do people with faddas in their name manage with passports and airline tickets

How do people with umlauts, cedillas, acute accents, non-Latin alphabets etc manage? In Europe these would far exceed the number of people whose names include the accent grave / fada?

I know the multiplicity of Windoze OS's has an unenviable reputation for mangling type-faces but Mac OS and **IX users seem to fare much better, and it's not for the lack of standards in the area, but are we back to local implementations just not bothering with standards?

It requires no greater computing or printing power to reproduce "A" than "Á" or "À".

How do people with umlauts, cedillas, acute accents, non-Latin alphabets etc manage? In Europe these would far exceed the number of people whose names include the accent grave / fada?
With difficulty I suspect.

The issue im raising is a little bigger than just the faddas it also emcompasses various gaelic forms of names. such as "hA" little h big A. Ní followed by the aperitive h, is it "O " no fadda, and a space or "Ó " or "O'" O apostrophie and no space.

I leave fadas out of my name for all these type of things. I have seen airline tickets booked with accidental capitalisation with no consequences e.g. JOhn so doubt hA should be an issue. I book travel for people at work and book e.g. O'Shay - apostophie no spaces.