How do people take retirement benefits from DC Schemes?

GSheehy

Saw this via ILACs Twitter account and thought it worthy of a post.

They analysed the 2,704 retirement benefit claims they paid to 1,738 DC scheme members in 2019.

See the infographic in the link below for a breakdown of the types of benefits taken and the payouts per benefit types.

Attachments

• benefits at retirement 2019summary (1).pdf
    165.6 KB · Views: 63
That's interesting.

I'm surprised at the statistic that in 2019, 62% of people took retirement benefits before age 65.

Shame they didn't include the actual average balances., i'd like to have seen those too...

Going by those figures, I would guess that a lot of people have very small pension pots. So small they can either qualify for the trivial pension or withdrawing it all as a lump sum under the 150% of final salary under company schemes. Quite a worry statistic.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

That's what I was wondering Stephen, I couldn't figure the large % tax free lump sum, but that makes sense along with the 150% final salary I forgot about that option.

The average (all) pension pot currently maturing is circa €130,000 so DC schemes must be way lower than that.

The lure of maturing these small pension pots before 65 appears to be strong, even in a non recessionary period.

Back