how do I switch to wireless on my pc?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
My pc was connected to the modem via a cable

I have now got an Horizon box, so I have to switch to wifi

But I think I must have disabled wifi at some stage on my pc, or do I need some sort of wi fi usb? (Amazing how I begin to answer my own questions as I write them down)

If you go into - Control Panel -> Network (or Network and Sharing Centre or similar, depending on what version of Windows you are using), you should see an option to connect to a network. If you try to connect to the wireless network, it'll enable the wireless adapter if there is one built-in.

If there isn't one built in, then yes, a USB WiFi adapter will be required. You'll pick these up for €10-20.

thanks Leo

When I tried that, I got a message saying, plug an etheret cable into this computer. So I guess it's not seeing the USB WiFi Adapter.

I have tried two different WiFi Adapters which I used to use with this pc. Not sure why they are not being seen.

I think when I connected it via cable, the guy who helped me, disabled something to stop a conflict. I will get him to reenable it.

Brendan

Don't forget that USB WiFi adapters need specific drivers to be recognised by windows.
Depending on what version of windows you are using these drivers may need to be installed separately.

If your machine is a laptop there's a good chance that you have a physical wireless 'switch' on the side, make sure that this is switched on also.

Yes, noted that myself after some silly complaints to the PC shop! Usually a yellow light is switched on to denote wireless function is working!

Some do, some don't Brendan.

Go into device manager and have a look, maybe there is one and it has been disabled.

What's the exact make and model of your pc? (tech support 101) There may be a physical slider switch somewhere on the laptop

I have now got an Horizon box, so I have to switch to wifi
The horizon box does have ethernet cable ports, same as your modem. http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/d...ng-your-computer-to-horizon-broadband---cable

I'm guessing this a physical problem, where your ethernet cabling can't reach the set top box? If it's feasible, I'd do the legwork to get a cable connection sorted. For a portable device, the convenience of wireless is worth the reduced reliability and speed. For an immobile workstation, I'd really want a cable.