How do I start a business letter?

QED

Hi - What is the modern alternative to 'Dear Sir or Madam,' when addressing an unknown person in a business letter?

Not sure there are many alternatives when the recipient name is unknown.

A chara ? or if that's fuddy duddy...

Howaya ?
Whazzup?

Hi
I wasn't aware there was a modern alternative? That seems like a polite formal letter opening? I would be cautious about using anything familiar in an unsolicited letter

Nicola

PS
If you are writing to companies, rather than starting 'Dear Sir/Madam', it would be infinitely better to find the name of the person in the company that you want the letter to go to (ie you could phone up HR/reception, and ask for the name of the accounts manager/MD/or whoever you want the letter to go to).It looks like you've made much more of an effort
Nicola

That's good advice about personalising the letter but it's not always practicle.

If you are looking for business then I'd stick with "Dear Sir/Madam".
If you are writing to anyone outside Ireland you should stay formal for at least the first three letters/ emails.
Then start signing off using your first name only. If they start doing the same thing then, and only then, go informal. If you are not sure then stay formal.

That's good advice about personalising the letter but it's not always practicle.
If you are looking for business, you need to make it practical however, and spend the bit of extra time finding out the information.
Your aim (presumably) is to start up a business relationship. From your previous postings I think you are going to be looking relatively locally to get work? So you need to put the effort in.
If I receive unsolicited mail not addressed to me personally, I am less likely to open it, than if it were addressed to me, especially if I get a lot of mail per day.

Nicola

good advice there nicola, i always use the persons first name too. a person will be much more interested in your letter when addresssed by name and it gets the business relationship off to a good start

good advice there nicola, i always use the persons first name too. a person will be much more interested in your letter when addresssed by name and it gets the business relationship off to a good start

Whenever I receive a business letter from someone I don't know and it addresses me by my first name, I automatically treat it with additional suspicion. Mail merge is often misused as the snailmail version of spam.

If you are trying to do business it's an absolute must to personalise (but still use Mr/Ms) the letter IMO.

I barely look at anything that is obviously intended for me, but doesn't have my name on it.