How Do I Shut Off Water Supply ?

redstar

I need to shut-off the water supply to allow a new kitchen sink to be fitted. I found a stopcock under the existing sink and assumed that this would stop the mains water coming into the house. I turned it fully clockwise, but water still flows out of the kitchen sink cold tap. (The tap is a hot/cold mixer type). I also tried fully anti-clockwise - same result.

Should the water stop immediately or could it be coming down from the water-tank in the attic ?

Or does this sound like the stopcock is broken ?

There is also a pipe branching from the sink pipe (above the stopcock) but i cannot see where it goes.

I would turn it off outside. There should be a 4-inch square metal cover on a hole out near the roadway or on footpath if in a development. The valve in there enables you to turn off the cold supply to the house.

If it is a new development the external stop cock and water meter may be located beneath a lockable circular cast iron cover, in which case you will a special key to open it.

The house is about 7 or 8 years old ina small estate - would it still need the special key ?

I would say so, but if you look at the cover you'll know- the older type of square cover can be easily lifted with the aid of a screwdriver. The lockable circular type has a slot to allow the key to be inserted.

OK , thanks for all the replies. I reckon i should get a plumber to have a look at the stopcock under the sink. Can anyone recommend a reliable plumber in the Trim/Navan area ?

Back